News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay Item Tracking

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 29, 2013, 11:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I thought of an idea for forum members who find a great phone on eBay that they can't get, because they either spent too much money on phones for the month/are not interested in it, but know someone here who will be/are not willing to spend as much money on it as the seller wants. I couldn't think of a better name, but here it is.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

I'll start this with an early red WE 500 at $10.49 with 2 bids so far:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131003566230

Christian Petterson

AE40FAN

Although I am not bidding on this phone and do find this topic appealing.  I am not sure how I feel about advertising under the radar auctions while they are still active.   Cord on this may not be salvageable.  Also, I see white on the caps and the only way I was able to remove the white on my soft red 500 caps was by sanding :-[.    On that note, this auction has a reserve and I am sure many are aware of it.  This should be a contest auction because of the rarity and condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300976807181?

Dennis Markham

As we've discussed before, the problem with posting an eBay link with no photo is that in a few weeks when the link is no longer valid, this topic becomes a dead topic.  No one will know what phone is being discussed.

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

AE40FAN

Nile Green AE40.  Auction link posted above.

david@london

Quote from: AE40FAN on September 30, 2013, 09:29:34 AMI am not sure how I feel about advertising under the radar auctions while they are still active.

sorry christian, but i am not sure about this idea.

if i had spotted a sleeper, an under-the radar beauty, and it was flagged up/advertised in this way, i might be slightly miffed when, or if, the price suddenly shot up.
personally, i would rather hear about these great finds after the sale ends, (possibly in find of the month.)

a recent example of a total bargain............http://tinyurl.com/orzcbhb..........
this moss green 500, from march 1959, went for (only) $9.99. sale ended 24th aug '13.......and good luck to whoever found it.

just my opinion........cheers, david.

twocvbloke

I'm also quite secretive about potential bargain finds, I'll keep them quiet until after the auction (whether I missed or I've bought it), to me it doesn't really seem fair for someone to find a sleeper that they're setting their heart on and then someone else advertising it and artificially pushing up the price, especially if the person is working to a limited budget... :-\

If things are missed, then that's because the seller didn't do a good job in advertising it, though it is a shame if they disposed of unsold items because they didn't get titles and descriptions right... :(

WesternElectricBen

I agree with Twocvbloke, this is a good idea but sometimes people want to keep an auction secret. A few weeks ago I was the top bidder on a phone, which didn't have much bids yet until it was posted on the forum.

Ben

HarrySmith

I believe if you read back aways you will find this has been discussed a few times before and it was basically agreed not to "out" a phone find while the auction was running. Not a "rule" per say but an "agreement" of sorts.

Maybe one of the "older" members can back me up or refresh my memory ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Perhaps we made a few exceptions:

(1) When there is more comic value than intrinsic value: Lamp Atrocities for example
(2) To alert others of a fake, particularly when seller insists it's not
(3) Once the price is in the hundreds of dollars
(4) If there is to be an Auction Contest, by definition the item must be made public
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on October 01, 2013, 06:39:21 PM
Perhaps we made a few exceptions:

(1) When there is more comic value than intrinsic value: Lamp Atrocities for example
(2) To alert others of a fake, particularly when seller insists it's not
(3) Once the price is in the hundreds of dollars

(4) If there is to be an Auction Contest, by definition the item must be made public

And to add since I run them, with auction contests, the phone has to be highly desireable from a collectors point of view, start with a low price, have no reserve, have significant activity (price run up by several bidders quickly) before the contest is initiated (posted) and not have a BIN price. The last, and unwritten, rule is that a contest phone is one that will sell for a lot more than I could ever afford to pay for it . . .  ;)

PS: Lamp phone atrocities are posted early on but usually only when the phone has been hacked in the conversion and offered at a very high price (never sells). Hideous Phones is another category offering a history of highly priced "stuff" that never sells.

AE_Collector

Yeah I guess you are correct Harry. Not a rule at all, no agreements in that area as far as CRPF goes BUT on the other hand everyone likes to keep the phone they are watching quiet until they snag it and proudly post it as their Find of the Month.

There has actually been some discussion behind the scenes over the last few days about this idea/concept for a topic on CRPF and the consensus is pretty close to what has been said already though to emphasize, it is not A RULE of CRPF.

We do push our luck a little with the Auction Contests as we are outing phones currently listed on ebaY there but to some extent the majority of the Auction Contest phones are NOT $9.99 500's or 302's but they ARE phones that are going to go for "what they are worth" without our help.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

I understand everything about what we should change, and may I add BIN listings, where there is no waiting for the end and no competing?
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Christian, with BIN (Buy-it-Now) listings, it may be even worse.

With an auction listing, if it is no longer "hidden," say for example listed in the wrong category, others can still bid, but may have to pay higher than they would really like if too many people know about it.

But with BIN, If  another buyer gets tipped off by your research, then purchases it, someone else doesn't even have the option of paying a higher price to get the item. In fact, it's gone unless the buyer doesn't pay.

Unless you search under "sold" or "completed," chances are you won't even know about that blue 302 that sold for $40.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.