News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Printable dial cards

Started by winkydink, January 16, 2009, 11:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

QuoteBTW does anyone know how to insert text at an angle in the GIMP?  I was thinking of making the station code text off horizontal by a small amount (half a degree or so, nothing too noticeable) and slightly off center for a more authentic look.  The second is easy, the first I'm not sure how to do.
Do you want to insert each letter at its own angle (which I think would look weird), or tilt the entire line of text? If the latter, can you do it backward - rotate the blank dial card image and then put the text in horizontal?

By the way, PowerPoint can do all this quite easily. It's not much of a graphics program, but some things it does very well - and this would be one of them.

Bill

Greg G.

Quote from: Bill on September 04, 2012, 11:21:48 AM

By the way, PowerPoint can do all this quite easily. It's not much of a graphics program, but some things it does very well - and this would be one of them.

Bill

Yeah, but what fun is that?  I'm looking for a vintage working typewriter to customize dial cards.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Not easy to find the right fonts, but how does this look?

http://www.fonts2u.com/cheapskate-fill.font

This font is just numbers and capitals.

dsk

dsk

1)Those complicated logos are loosing on printout at less than 2" diameter, and B/W color.
I have tried to do some simplifications.

2) I have tried to understand the system with Letters on label, So what would you dial when you see this:

dsk

poplar1

Are you asking how you would dial this? MUseum 2= MU2= 682. However, there would be maximimum 4 digits after MUseum 2- in US or Canada.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

Great, I have to do something with my dial plan, would 3 digits be OK?  My main C*NET number
are 776 650, and that could be PResident 6    650  ???

(Both Museum and President are equal words in Norwegian and English)

dsk

poplar1

dsk, how about PResident 6650?

PResident 6650 (not PResident 6- 650) would be the 2L 4N (2 letter, 4 numeral) format which was common in a lot of cities until the mid-1950s. At that time, all phone numbers had to be standardized as 2L + 5N in order to be dialable on the long distance network (DDD=Direct Distance Dialling).

Almost all US cities were able to get by with only 2L + 4N (2L= 64 combinations using only the letters assigned to 2 through 9 on the dial). The exceptions were Boston, New York, Chicago and Philadelphia which had 3L +4N until changing to 2L + 5N.

Even though where I live changed from 2L +4N to 2L + 5N around 1955, most step-by-step (Strowger) central offices were able to avoid adding additional selectors by using second selectors which were absorbing selctors. Where I lived changed from CAlhoun xxxx (22-xxxx) to POplar 1-xxxx (761-xxxx), but the 6 was absorbed (once but only once) so that we were able to dial 71-xxxx.

AE_Collector

I think I just figured out how you derived your forum name!

D_s_k - in Vancouver 68x is mutual rather than museum. I am parked about 100 meters from "mutual' right now. We still refer to most of the Vancouver exchanges by their old names.

Jerry

dsk

Interesting,
I searched for exchange names, and got one really good hit, and several quite good:

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Recommended.html (dead link 10-5-21)

and

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/TENproject.html (dead link 10-5-21)

dsk

poplar1

dsk, here's a 202 with MU that sold today:

dsk

This will will be until further notice, I have bin in my old step by step exchange and re-soldered the termination of my desk telephone (Redbar 1948) to line 6, and may now be reached at the number on this label.

The font for MUseum 2 is Cantarell, and the blue numbers are fontCheapskate fill.

dsk

dsk

I received my AE40 today, with this label:

dsk

AE_Collector

Eastern Missouri area code initially but that area has been split twice since. The exchange name looks odd on the number card since the I is capitalized which makes it look like a lower case L in that font.

Terry

cihensley@aol.com

As stated by Bill, PowerPoint can produce most any number card you want, including having the 4-digit direct directory number appear to have been produced on an old manual typewriter.

Chuck