News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 741 Soft Ivory

Started by LM Ericsson, June 14, 2012, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

I bought this cool GPO 741 wall phone at the Lancaster phone show for $40. When I saw it, I just had to have it. Built in 1973 by GEC-AEI Telecommunications, Newton Aycliffe, County Durham, refurbished in 1981. The inside of the phone was pretty dirty, dust piled on every component (no pic). It is almost looking brand new. Surprisingly no damage to the phone. This type of phone requires a mounting bracket, does anyone here know where I can find one???
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

The base looks like it is the same as a 746.  There are three holes in the base which could be used for mounting screws.

Larry

gpo706

You really don't need a T bar, you can take out the grommets at the back and screw it up with 3 screws.

T bars go for silly money, and are at best useful for aligning the hanging my 741 came without and I just did the DIY approach.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Very nice 741, built not that far from where I live, about 22 miles away infact... :D

The wall brackets aren't really that cheap to get hold of, the cheapest one I can find on ebay is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130707998540

Though there may be cheaper sources that I don't know about at the moment... ???

Looks like it has the 21A Transmitter though, so nice clear phonecalls and no crackling carbon, the 21A works pretty well, shame it took them so long to come up with it...  :D

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 14, 2012, 05:44:35 PM
The base looks like it is the same as a 746.

It is the same, the difference is the framework for the hookswitch and dial mounts, the GPO liked using the same base platform for their different phones and related hardware... :)

Like the Bell No. 50 series, they used the same base too, just minus the hookswitches and dials, and depending on which version it was, most of the components on the PCB were missing too...  :D