News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

When did you guys and gals........

Started by Kenny C, July 29, 2010, 09:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Start back to school when you were in you younger days?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bwanna

u mean back in the days of one room school houses. when we walked to school barefoot, uphill both ways ??? ;D ??? ;D
donna

Kenny C

lol not that you are old but my friends young mom (45 i saved myself just then ;)) went back to school in late september and i start back tommorrow :(
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

We used to start the Wednesday before Labor Day.  2 half days, a full day on Friday, then a long weekend.  I guess they didn't want to shock the teachers too much all at once.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Kenny C

we have moved up over a month WOW tht is the winds of change.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny, it's been so long that I don't remember.  I know that when I lived in the South in the 60's whenever we started back it was so hot it was miserable.  No air conditioning then.  But we always got out early.  Here in Michigan kids don't get out until mid-June but until recently they went back just before Labor Day.  The State just passed a law to mandate that all schools start AFTER the Labor Day weekend in September.  They thought it was crazy for people to have to come home from vacation to go to school for one or two days and then get 3 more off.  They figure it will help tourism if people don't have to return home until after the Labor Day weekend.

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on July 29, 2010, 10:16:19 PM
lol not that you are old but my friends young mom (45 i saved myself just then ;)) went back to school in late september and i start back tommorrow :(

Is your friend's young mom married?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

I seem to remember around Labor Day also but I am not sure if it was before or after. Back in those days we did not get so many days off. Seems today if there is just a hint of bad weather they shut them down. I remember plenty of days going to school in the snow, hoping for snow day but not getting one ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan

Always the third week in August for me. I went to Catholic schools and was always jealous of my friends who were out til the Jerry lewis telethon was over....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

Just after labor day for me, too, as I recall.  Like Harry said, for us it took an awful lot to close school, unlike today.  We were expected to make it to school even in heavy snow, and we always did.

My high school was air conditioned, but the others weren't. 
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Heh? What's that, sonny?
After labor day!

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

From after labor day to first week in June. And the holidays were celebrated on the actual days they happened.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

Quote from: Brinybay on July 30, 2010, 04:54:59 AM
Quote from: Kennyc1955 on July 29, 2010, 10:16:19 PM

Is your friend's young mom married?

no she is widowed
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

jsowers

Usually we went back the fourth week of August. Before Labor Day but after my birthday on the 20th. I loved summer vacation when I was a kid and my birthday always meant the end of vacation and the beginning of (yuck) school. My experiences with school in August and September are similar to Dennis' in that it was really hot in NC. I didn't have an air conditioned classroom until high school. Now all of our schools are air conditioned and school starts for students August 25th.
Jonathan