News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Get 3 wire phone to work on 2 wire house?

Started by dc4code, July 09, 2018, 02:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc4code

I just got a new phone from Harry Smith :)

So I carefully took off all the stickers and polished it neetly.

Then I tried connecting it to my house phone line.

I have 3 wires coming out of the phone

Red
Green
Yellow

I tried MANY combinations but none of them work,

out of my wall I only have 2 wires. Green and Red (tip & ring)

I connected the green and red to the phone and I connected a ground wire from an outlet to the yellow wire.
I have a very quiet dial tone and cannot dial out (my line works with pulse dial)

dc4code

The First image is before
the second image is after.

dc4code

---

jsowers

Please post a pic of the network inside the phone showing where the mounting cord connects. Normally you don't need but two wires, red and green. But in a phone this old, it could be set for ground ringing. Which would just make it not ring and not cause the problem you have currently. You don't need to have a ground at all, so don't bother with that. Also, have you used that alligator clip adapter you have on another phone to make sure it works OK? It has a homemade look to it, so I had to ask. You can always hard-wire it to a phone jack if it has screws inside, temporarily.

You may need to change out the mounting cord too. Do you have an extra one you know works? Try the above and report back.
Jonathan

dc4code

Quote from: jsowers on July 09, 2018, 02:56:23 PM
Please post a pic of the network inside the phone showing where the mounting cord connects. Normally you don't need but two wires, red and green. But in a phone this old, it could be set for ground ringing. Which would just make it not ring and not cause the problem you have currently. You don't need to have a ground at all, so don't bother with that. Also, have you used that alligator clip adapter you have on another phone to make sure it works OK? It has a homemade look to it, so I had to ask. You can always hard-wire it to a phone jack if it has screws inside, temporarily.

You may need to change out the mounting cord too. Do you have an extra one you know works? Try the above and report back.

I verified the alligator cable works with my test set. the cable came with my test set.

Also I thought this was funny I went to disconnect the ground cable and it gave me a shock!

Ok posting the picture in a minute let me take it apart.

HarrySmith

You don't have it connected to any kind of power supply do you??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dc4code

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 09, 2018, 03:01:26 PM
You don't have it connected to any kind of power supply do you??

No it's a adapter that was made to ground coaxial cables but there is a screw terminal on it that has ground from the outlet. (verified with a volt meter)

dc4code

Network

(Website won't let me upload it)

https://imgur.com/a/C5wOoh1
https://imgur.com/a/HZLMvK2
https://imgur.com/a/d7YSyWV

----------------------------------------

Edit: Images were too large, 4500 pixels on the largest side. Resized the images to 3500 and attached them to this reply

HarrySmith

No need for a ground. Red & green wires to L1 & L2. That's all you need.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dc4code

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 09, 2018, 03:17:43 PM
No need for a ground. Red & green wires to L1 & L2. That's all you need.

It doesnt work at all without the ground

dc4code

Maybe it's a bad network?

I have an extra one but its from a touch tone phone from the late 70s or very early 80s

jsowers

Your ringer is hooked up incorrectly. And I mean WAY incorrectly. I've never seen one connected this way and you may have more incorrect wires. Let's start with the ringer. Connect red of the ringer to L2 where the red mounting cord is connected. Connect the black wire from the ringer to L1. Connect the white (ish) wire from the ringer to K (which is next to L1 and up a little). Connect the red/white wire of the ringer to A (which is the last screw in the back row).

You have another wire connected to A that I'm not sure where it comes from. I'm also not sure what's connected to K. So you may need to consult a wiring diagram for a 500 set at this link...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2767.0

Definitely don't use that ground. It's not needed and may cause more problems than it solves. Thanks for posting the pic of your network. You will need to post lower res pics in the future and they will go through a lot better.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

I agree, I don't know who wired that but it is all wrong, maybe I should have checked it first!
Thanks for posting the link to the diagram. Once you get it wired according to the diagram you should have no problems. I have never had a network go bad. Always a wiring problem.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dc4code

Ok so far I wired it as the diagram shows.

However I have 2 wires that aren't in the diagram and I have NO idea where they go ( I disconnected ALL the wires and did the diagram)