"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo Type 21 Wall Phone (pix added)

Started by jfrutschy, May 30, 2013, 01:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Hi guys,

I found a type 21 phone in great shape, but the box itself has vent holes versus the louvers on my previous ae21 everyone here identified for me.  Did they make different boxes for this phone???  it is stamped in red with automatic electric and pat dates on the inside cover, it also has a strange handset and receiver hook with no dial.  the old transmitter hole is covered by a round plate. working on pix if needed???  afer a little research I think its an ae 43 switch hook....still researching my self.  Fantastic shape...$15 wanted to use the box for the ae21 guts i have from a previous project. adding dial and bulldog tranmitter???

HarrySmith

We need pictures!!
This may be the Holy Grail of phone collecting ;D
or it may be junk for your parts bin ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Standard Automatic Electric model 21 wall Monophone with a slightly updated hookswitch than what is shown on this earlier catalog page.

D282996A is an induction coil for common battery service and is the same used in type-40 Monophones.

They were also produced in magneto versions for railway service up until at least the mid to late '70s.

Since this is in the Telephone Tools & Tool Identification section, are you also inquiring about any special tools that were used to repair them?

jfrutschy

In which way would the phone be historical, with the swithhook already on or replacing with the older version and receiver and ading a dial and transmitter???    The box itself is immaculate.  Remember I have virtually all the parts from another type 21 I stripped down.

Babybearjs

I've got one of these, and I restored it to service. mine has the mouthpiece and reciever. I tried to restore it to its original style but had to order a generic reciever because there was none on ebay at the time. mine has the older version coil and 2 1MF caps. does'nt talk well, the older units are basically museum pieces unless you upgrade them to a #42 status...
John

jfrutschy

How do you upgrade thse to the 42 status??  Is it worth it??  Or should I just enjoy the beautifull phone as is once completed?

Babybearjs

if you look at the difference between the 21 and the 42, you'll see that you might just have a 42.... the 42 was alot newer then the 21.... you'd have to look at tha catalog, I've included one here...
John