News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Demarkation Points

Started by Babybearjs, August 23, 2014, 02:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well this was interesting.... last week I had to have Centurylink come out and fix my second land line... and then it went dead again.... so they came out and got it working right. but..... I had no dial tone in the house.... I toned out the line, it was OK.... and then checked the incoming line to see where the dial tone was..... I had dial tone at the box.... but no further....what was going on??? the line from the box to the KTS was good.... so I tried to switch-out the protectors... as you see in the photo... I have extra parts.... only 3 incoming lines... 2 of which are in use....    so I switched the protector and still no dial tone except at the test points.... what is going on??? I got looking really good at the units and noticed that the first line was fully seated on the ground buss..... but not the second and third.... Hmmm.... could this be my problem?? So I made sure the ground tab was fully seated and wha-la... it worked! now, why did this happen? do these units need a ground path to work right? Does anyone know about these things?? at first I thought the waterproofing gel was causing problems.... but it was the ground path.... Hmmm. this is new to me.... has anyone had the same problem with these units?? what style is regularly recommended??     
John