News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Parts Bag Sealer

Started by DavePEI, December 17, 2016, 01:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I am getting something I have wanted for a while for Christmas, a 12" electric impulse bag sealer. What do I want it for? To seal bags which I keep phones in, and parts to keep them pristine when not on display in the museum. The sealer will seal plastic bags I get locally so that dirt and air can't get in. The air within the bag can be withdrawn using a straw before sealing... This will be perfect for sealing cords and other small parts to keep them good as new.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Owain

Just watch the phone/cord plastic and the bag plastic don't inter-migrate. You might also want to seal a sachet of dessicant in with the phone etc.

DavePEI

Quote from: Owain on December 17, 2016, 04:00:32 PM
Just watch the phone/cord plastic and the bag plastic don't inter-migrate. You might also want to seal a sachet of dessicant in with the phone etc.

Well, of course, duh! I have been keeping my cords in these same plastic bags for years (they aren't the cheap, chincy Chinese bags) - they are 4 or 6 mil polyethelene food quality bags, and I have the perfect size of bag to keep them in (in fact three sizes) - only have to seal the top as opposed to using bag ties. It will keep any moisture out, and if you take the air out first using a straw as I do, there is no moisture present to need dessicant, and of course with a sealed bag, moisture can't get in, either...

This just makes it easier to keep a perfect seal. I have phones which I bagged up ten years ago. The bags might get dusty with storage, but the insides are just as pristine today as they were the day I first bagged them. This will just improve the seal.
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I decided to post a second message after the sealer arrived. It works very well, and took only 3 days to arrive. I find for 1 mil poly bags, the timer knob needs to be turned up about 1/4 way for the most even seal on 1 mil poly, and about half-way on 3 mil poly bags.

The know controls the time the element is heated, and not the heat. I have used it so far to pack a number of items, and to make a number of custom bags, as well in oddball sizes.

It can be left plugged in, as it only starts the heat cycle when the arm is depressed, and remains heating only for as long as the timer is set. It draws no current the rest of the time.

I ordered 12 spare elements and teflon pads - giving me a total of 14 which should last for years!

The bags i use are as follows:

12 Pound bags are the perfect size to store 500s and 2500 size phones in.

10 Pound bags are perfect for phones and items the size of a Harmony, etc.

3 Pound bags are perfect for storing items such as handsets, and other miscellaneous parts.

10 oz. bags which are perfect for cords (3 inch x8 or 10 inch). Storing them in these not only protects them from the atmosphere and dust, but also keeps them from entangling.

These are all available in bulk packs at a store near here, and are food grade 1 mil poly bags. I have been using these for years, and it is nice to be able to seal them properly without using twist ties.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dan/Panther

I've done this for survival packs for quite some time. They keep thing like matches fresh for years.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson