"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

rewiring a 706 switchboard phone

Started by john777, August 26, 2014, 05:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john777

Hello
I have just acquired an old UK 709 switchboard which I would like to convert to use on modern Bt plug and socket
I attach a couple of pictures.
the wiring is far more complicated than a usual 709 as there are multiple buttons on the case as well as a light and re-call button
My approach to this is as follows.
Remove the large cord and all the wires and replace with a normal 4 wire cord.
take out the wires for the light and the re-call buttons
Take out the wires for the multiple buttons in the case
Then re-wire according to the standard 706/746 wiring diagram
Just wondered if anyone could offer me any other useful advice for this.  Also there is a small metal box with a resistor on it where the cords come in. Does anyone know what this is and what it does
Many thanks

twocvbloke

It's actually a 710 (or a non-GPO equivalent) I believe, rather than a 706, converting this to a regular phone is as with any other 700 series:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm#700

Of course, converting means you lose the functions of the buttons and lamps, so it'll basically end up being a 706 with buttons and lamps... :)

twocvbloke

Actually, before you start modifying the phone, could you get some more photos of it both inside and out (including any stamps/dates on the base)? I've not seen anything like that myself, looks rather interesting inside...

HarrySmith

I would have to agree, it looks like an interesting variation I am not familiar with, leave it as is! If you want a regular one they seem to be fairly easy to find as I see them a lot on eBay and are fairly cheap.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"