News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecticut Electric #38-W

Started by Babybearjs, August 07, 2014, 03:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Thank you Phil for the nice pair of C.E. Duplex Phones..... I took these out and cleaned them up and based on the documentation, these were sold as a simple intercom, but they probably were sold as toys.... battery operated and made to last.... I pulled up the original documentation on these and was amazed that they only work on 3 volts DC. I though they would work on a higher voltage, up to 24 VDC. now all I need to do is go to R/S and get some battery holders for these.... maybe the neighborhood kids will like playing with these.... or I could just show them as a science project.... I wonder what these sold for new? A dollar or 2???? stay tuned to see if they work........
John

Under Dog

I did a quick google, but  couldn't find photos of a #38-W.  Does it look like this? 

My grandfather had these between his apartment and store way back when and I recently picked one up.  I would love to wire it up in place of my mothers door bell ringer.  I've figured out which terminals need power to make it ring, I just don't know if I can run 24volts through the ringer circuit (or what would happen to the circuitry if the earpiece is off hook when it rings)...

Any ideas for me?