"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

not your average 302

Started by Kenny C, October 09, 2010, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 15, 2010, 08:54:36 PM
they are beautiful polished i am almost done with the base parts.

Very noticable improvement.
Good work,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

Thank you I need tips on cleaning the rust off.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

I saw an advert for evapo-rust around $20-30 a gallon. Very amazing results. I will eventually get some.

A teletype collector posted his experience, quite amazing.

Has anyone here tried it?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Kenny, you'd be surprised how much rust you can remove from different parts using the Dremmel tool with a wire wheel attachment.  You must be careful with painted parts as the wheel will remove the paint.  But on that ringer frame, screws, etc., they work great.  I have worn out many wire brushes.........

KeithB

What Dennis said.  The Dremel tool with a stainless steel wire wheel works great. 

If you don't have one, you can get a small brass brush at the hardware store and use it to knock off all the loose rust, then use an air hose to blow it all off the piece.  After that, a weak solution of CLR or Bar Keepers Friend and water with an old toothbrush will remove the rust that's stuck behind.  If you use CLR, definitely thin it out with a lot of water, as it's very acidic.  Bar Keepers Friend is a mild abrasive containing oxalic acid, another weak acid that helps remove rust.  Besides those two products, you can purchase "Naval Jelly" which also contains oxalic acid in a water/gel base. Use it the same way, brush on a light coat only on the rusty spots, let it sit for a while, then wipe or rinse it off with a damp toothbrush and/or cloth.

Kenny C

Thanks guys I will try those suggestions.
Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 15, 2010, 04:57:33 PM
I am getting an E1 in the mail this week and I got some cloth cords.

Sorry for the delay Kenny. I just packed up the handset and the cord, it is going out tomorrow Priority Mail so you should have it back by Wednesday ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

Thanks Harry I stripped it today
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

It's case is on it's second coat I am letting it bake on 250 for 25 minutes per coat  and an hour on the last coat
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

QuoteKenny, you'd be surprised how much rust you can remove from different parts using the Dremmel tool with a wire wheel attachment

The wire brush tool does a great job on non-plated finger stops.  As far as I have seen, none of the WE finger stops are plated, so I use the rotary tool wire brush on the dull and rusty ones, and they come out looking great.  AE and some others have chrome plated finger stops, so I do not use the brush on them, or it would remove the plating.

The wire brush is also great for cleaning the wire spades and certain other contacts, like the transmitter and receiver contacts.  Don't use it on hook switch contacts though.

Larry

Kenny C

Well here it is after a bad repaint  :-[ but it looks ok I think I have yet to clean the dial and one of the ringer wires came un-soldered so I am getting that fixed I will post pictures of the base later on. But for now here it is............
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Kenny...this is a very special phone and should be professionally painted. Maybe someone on the Forum knows someone or is someone who could make this a masterpiece. I'm glad to see you decided to keep it....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

I agree with you doug this is sorta on the back burner I am wanting to get some new phones but I dont know what I want  ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

This set is now In the possession of another member of the forum. I got a very good price for it and I know who got it will really take car of it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Love how you converted her into a newfangled cordless model ;). I like it as is but a pro paint job would be the icing on the cake.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright