News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bad internet connection and e-bay...sigh

Started by Rokumoncat, May 18, 2013, 03:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokumoncat

It happened to me again! I found a Bell System item that I have been looking for the last two years. It was a beautiful moss green 666B transmitter. I bid a nice high price on it and was watching it near the end to see what happened. Then my internet connection went down and when it came back up, I had been outbid by one stinking buck.

What can I say. Hopefully one will come around again soon.

Joe

twocvbloke

It's why I tend to use this site:

https://www.myibidder.com/

If I know that I'll forget about the end of an auction (which is 99.9999999% of the time) or I know the internet access might be a bit ropey, I'll use that to bid for me, doesn't always win me the items (cos I only put in a bid of what I'm prepared to pay, rather than sticking 100,000,000,000,000 into the Bid amount box), and occasionally they forget to bid aswell, but, it's a handy tool to have... :)

Adam

Quote from: Rokumoncat on May 18, 2013, 03:37:59 PM
I had been outbid by one stinking buck.

You shouldn't feel so bad about this.  I know it sucks to lose the auction, but:

He might have won the auction by 1 buck, but you don't know what his maximum bid was that exceeded yours.  It may have been quite a large amount, so even if you had been online to bid at the last minute, if the other guy wanted it more, you'd have still lost...

I second the motion about bidding services.  I have had very good luck with Bidnip.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

TelePlay

Yes, Adam, you are right.

But, from past experience, I've found that it takes away some of the sting of loosing something you wanted in a last second snipe by knowing you got that last bid in and made the other buyer, the winner who placed a very high bid, to have paid at least what you would have paid plus one dollar. Won fairly, so to speak, and not by luck of getting it cheaper due to a bad internet connection.  8)

DavePEI

How Frustrating! It has happened to me.

I now use Bidnip in case I forget about the end of an auction. No guarantees I will win, but if I have set my limit high enough, it helps!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Owain

At least if someone else has paid more for it, hopefully they'll love it and cherish it.

I worry when I see things go unsold whether they'll just end up in the bin. I haven't got room or funds for every piece of tat that I want to hoard.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on May 19, 2013, 01:42:34 PMI worry when I see things go unsold whether they'll just end up in the bin.

That's why I occasionally send the sellers a message saying I missed the end of the auction by a few minutes and if they were willing to accept such and such an offer and if so to relist it as a Buy it now to make it all official (nothing worse than an off-ebay deal that goes pear-shaped), that way you can get a bargain AND save things from landing in the bin... :)

Sargeguy

Last time I did that the bidder wanted to charge me $10 more than it didn't sell for.  He felt confident it was worth more because it "had a lot of watchers"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409