News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interphone Display Unit

Started by jsowers, January 14, 2014, 01:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

This very unusual Interphone display unit was recently on eBay and sold for its opening bid of $599.99. Congratulations to whoever bought it. Now that it sold, I thought I would point it out because I have a couple questions about it. Hopefully someone on the Forum knows the answers.

I'll try to attach all the pictures. It looks like a case with two phones, a pink 711 and green 558 with push-to-talk handsets and external speakers. The 711's speaker has a volume control. The 558's speaker is a desk model speaker instead of the wall type usually associated with the Interphone. There are Jones plug sockets labeled A and B and also standard 4-prong jacks.

My questions... 1) What are the 4-prong jacks for? I know the Jones plug sockets must be for connecting to the Interphone control unit since they require lots of conductors. But the purpose of the jacks escapes me. 2) Why the push-to-talk handsets? Are these meant for a high noise environment? Or maybe was it to prevent feedback since you have two phones back to back?

Everything seems to date to early 1961, which is near the introduction date of the Interphone. Obviously all of the pieces aren't there since there are no cables to connect it to a control unit or the control unit itself.

Here is the auction link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370978071171

Anything you can add to how this functioned would be interesting to read.
Jonathan

G-Man

A very nice piece!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

There is a description of how it works in the TCI library for those who are interested.

jsowers

More pictures...
Jonathan

poplar1

These are apparently for the 2A Farm Interphone, not the 1A Home Interphone.

Farm Interphone uses G5 Push-to-Talk handsets and 759B or 760 speakers.

Home interphone uses 759A speakers and regular G3 or G1 handsets. On that system, you push down the signal button on the phone only to talk to the door unit.

Home Interphone  has transmitters mounted inside the phones. Farm Interphone sets do not have internal transmitters.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

zapper

I sold the unit as found.  I never checked the inside of the phones for a transmitter.  I will notify the buyer of this discussion and hopefully he will respond.
Zapper(Steve) Poppopscruiser

Russ Kirk

I am always amazed how much these Interphone units fetch.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

jsowers

Quote from: zapper on January 14, 2014, 03:20:11 PM
I sold the unit as found.  I never checked the inside of the phones for a transmitter.  I will notify the buyer of this discussion and hopefully he will respond.
Zapper(Steve) Poppopscruiser

Thanks, Steve. Anything you can relay from the buyer would be great to see. It would be nice to have the buyer on the Forum. And thanks, David, for the info about the Farm Interphone. That sure explains the handsets. It also makes this equipment even more rare since you almost never see Farm Interphone stuff for sale.
Jonathan

JimHyak

I was the purchaser. I have been trying to collect enough of the interphone gear over the last year or so to put together a nice system. I have a 55A, a 55B, and a 55AW control box, some various phones and speakers. I missed bidding awhile back on an auction someone had for the transmitter kit for the Princess. So far, none of my phones have the transmitter. Once these arrive, I will post some photos if they are so equipped.

At this price, I had to think twice before jumping on these at the last second, Steve seems to know my threshold of pain. :)

G-man, I would love it if you would post a link to the TCI description.

Jim (JimHyak)
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

poplar1

The 1A Home Interphone requires a 51A or 51AW Control Unit, 759A Loudspeakers and a 730A Receiver (Door-Answering Unit). The transmitters that go inside the 2-line phones are as follows:
659A---for 558C/D Wall Phone
660A---for 511C/D Desk Phone
664A---for 711B Princess Set

In TCI Library:
C70.160.00 Issue 2, Dec. 1962
Also:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2106-1a-home-interphone-bulletin-t-2836-1960-tl

The 2A Farm Interphone requires a 52A  54A or 54B Control Unit, an E1B or E1D ringer, loudspeakers such as 760 or 759B, and 2-line sets equipped with G5 push-to-talk. No transmitters inside the phones.

The 55-type Control Unit is used only for 3A Speakerphone system with various single, 2-line and multi-line phones.

EDIT: Corrected code no. for control unit for 2A Farm Interphone

G-Man

Interestingly enough a scan from Pacific Telephone Magazine was recently uploaded to a temporary holding box in the TCI library regarding the Farm Interphone.

While it is only a puff-piece and does not provide ANY technical details, it does give an overall regarding its intended usage.

Here is a link to the inboxes-
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/tci-library-inbox

G-Man

In addition to the information that popular was considerate enough to provide, issue 1 of the Operation and Identification  BSP list (partial) the following for the components for the 2A Farm Interphone.

54A Control Unit
760A Loudspeaker
759B Loudspeaker
KS-16846 L1 Loudspeaker
E1B Ringer
511C/D – CR/DR Telephone Set Equipped with G5KB handset
558C/D – CR/DR  "                             "                                               "
711B                      "                             "                                                "

There are slight variations to the above in subsequent issues. The connections BSP recommends a limited number of sets and loudspeakers to be used. I am unable to scan them but if anyone is further interested, a call-out on the TCI list would probably result in one of their scanning folks adding them to the library.

poplar1

The bad news is that the 55-type control unit can't be used to set up a Home Interphone or even a Farm Interphone.  All 3 control units have a similar outward appearance but are much different inside.

jsowers

The BSPs for the Farm Interphone are C70.165.00 and C70.165.01 and I can't find either of them in the TCI repository. I have the BSPs in front of me and will scan them tomorrow and post them. I needed something to get me to use my new scanner anyway.

The first section is description of how it's used and the second section is installation and includes the lineup of equipment David and G-Man listed previously.

Those of you who remember Gary Larson's "The Far Side" will no doubt remember the cartoon titled "The Rural Professional and his Cow Phone" and that's what comes to my (warped) mind when I see those cartoon pictures in the BSP. They even show a man in overalls. :)
Jonathan

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: jsowers on January 14, 2014, 08:58:48 PM
The BSPs for the Farm Interphone are C70.165.00 and C70.165.01 and I can't find either of them in the TCI repository. I have the BSPs in front of me and will scan them tomorrow and post them. I needed something to get me to use my new scanner anyway.

The first section is description of how it's used and the second section is installation and includes the lineup of equipment David and G-Man listed previously.

Those of you who remember Gary Larson's "The Far Side" will no doubt remember the cartoon titled "The Rural Professional and his Cow Phone" and that's what comes to my (warped) mind when I see those cartoon pictures in the BSP. They even show a man in overalls. :)

I guess when there are shoe phones, watch phones, and neck tie phones, anything is possible. :)

Ben

tallguy58

That phone looks like it came from San Quentin prison. Y'know,  inmate on one side and girlfriend on the other. ;D
Cheers........Bill