News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Breaking the line

Started by Babybearjs, February 15, 2018, 05:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

How important is it to break both sides of the phone line on a telephone? I just wired my 202 to a 425K network and had to only break the L1 side of the line. L2 is wired directly to "C". the wiring matches the basic circuit for a 500C/D phone... does it make any difference? I ran out of wires.... I'm using a 8 Conductor Cable....
John

RB

Not a pro at this, but would suspect that if it has no other connection, like a ground, etc...
Breakin one lead leaves the whole phone hanging in limbo.
not doing much of anything. and cannot draw on the line until the 2nd connection is made.
This all assuming this is a common batt question?
I suppose, that a hot mic from a local batt rig, could through harmonics, shake a line a bit???
but do not feel it would be significant.
I could be wrong...it has happened. :D

poplar1

Before the 500, most WE phones opened only one side of the line. The 500M, 564, 2565, etc. also open only one side since the other contacts are repurposed for A-lead control for 1A1/1A2 Key.

You can wire a 202 or 211 to be equivalent to a 500M circuit (except A/A1) using only 5 wires, so I don't see how you could run out of wires if using an 8-conductor mounting cord. Note that on a 500M or 564, the hookswitch opens the ring side of the line, while the dial opens the tip side (F to RR). So, if you tried to copy a 500MM  exactly, then, yes, you would need 2 wires from Y and BK hookswitch in the 202 to L2 and C on the 425 network, and 2 wires from Y and BK dial in 202 to F and RR on the 425 ---  plus the 3 wires for the handset (red from handset to R on network, black from handsets to B on network, and green from hookswitch to GN on network.) That is still only 7 wires.

But by wiring the hookswitch in series with the dial pulse -- as the 202 and 302 were designed -- rather than opening tip side with dial and ring side with hookswitch, you save 2 wires to the 685A subset or 425 network -- thus only 5 wires needed.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

Thank you. that helps... the phone tests good when plugged in.... The phone is using a 6U dial rather then a 5H. thus the question. I don't understand why WE used 2 NO contacts when only 1 set is used. where else did they use the 6U dial? I know about it being used in the design line phones.... was it used in Key equipment too?
John

poplar1

Perhaps for use with 4A Speakerphone?
565 set also uses dial with two sets of off-normal springs.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

yes, I have 2 sets that have the 6 wire configuration on the dial. will come in nicely if I ever get a speaker-phone arrangement...
John