News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need a simplified diagram for a WE 233-G Payphone

Started by Butch Harlow, July 04, 2018, 03:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

I am working on a 233-G for a friend. I have restored the entire phone to original including the relay. I would like to get the wiring right so I can use one of Stan's controllers to make it work. I have several diagrams, but I have to admit I am terrible with them. I was hoping somewhere there was a simplified diagram I could follow more easily. I assume the upper housing and dial are properly wired because it works. I just need to make sure the relay and switch pileup is properly wired to the 685a subset. Thanks in advance for your expert assistance.
Butch Harlow

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Butch Harlow

That's an excellent drawing, however I fear I am not that savvy. The way the phone is wired currently works, and maybe it's not the same as what the drawing is calling out. I just installed the relay, and I need to wire it and pretty much only it to work with the controller. I will add a picture, of course it doesn't include the subset, so I dont know if this is complete enough to get a proper solution. This is how the back looks after I added the relay.
Butch Harlow

RotarDad

Those diagrams can be frustrating.  You have to carefully look at each wire to see how it routes and remember that the diagram is not necessarily "correct" in terms of physical orientation of the components.  It sounds like you have the proper 685A subset which was installed with every 233G - it includes a 500-style 425B net and C4A ringer.  The relay will either have 2 or 4 contacts, depending on if it has the dial shunt contacts (used to prevent dial use unless a coin was dropped).  Stan's controller won't care about the dial shunt, so if your relay has only the 2 contacts, you're still OK.  In reviewing the diagram poplar1 pointed out, the relay contacts 1 and 2 are labeled "DS" (dial shunt) and shown separately from the 3 and G - that is hard to read!  3 and 4 (or G) are the relay circuit to ground.  I think you have to remove the ground connection for Stan's controller install - review the install manual to confirm.....  In looking at the diagram again, it shows relay terminal 3 connects to "T" on the upper contact strip, and then a red wire connects from "T" to "R" on the pile-up.  Ultimately, the CO ( now Stan), has to get 100v to contact 3 to operate the relay.  I don't have a 233G anymore to look at and my memory isn't good enough to confirm all this....
Paul

Butch Harlow

Ok, fun times so far. I rewired the phone, I think, to the above diagram. the way it was wired was vastly different. This is what I get. I can't hear from the receiver, cant be heard talking through it, and it wont ring. However, it will dial and connect a call, it hangs up properly, and collects the coins or returns them as it should. so, it seems I am halfway there, but halfway the other way around. Before it did none of the collecting or returning of coins, but it made calls. so, 1 step forward, 1 step back. Where on earth did I go wrong? I have attached some photos to show it the way I wired it minus Stan's controller. Any help would be appreciated.
Butch Harlow

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on July 06, 2018, 07:35:32 PM
Ok, fun times so far. I rewired the phone, I think, to the above diagram. the way it was wired was vastly different. This is what I get. I can't hear from the receiver, cant be heard talking through it, and it wont ring. However, it will dial and connect a call, it hangs up properly, and collects the coins or returns them as it should. so, it seems I am halfway there, but halfway the other way around. Before it did none of the collecting or returning of coins, but it made calls. so, 1 step forward, 1 step back. Where on earth did I go wrong? I have attached some photos to show it the way I wired it minus Stan's controller. Any help would be appreciated.

Use the controller as a diagnostic test tool.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Starting with the handset: It appears you have black handset wire connected to R on hookswitch.
Only the one receiver wire (White in diagram) goes to GN on hookswitch. Other 3 handset wires go to the T-TR-L terminal block at the top: transmitter wire to T. Other transmitter and one receiver both go to TR.

I would suggest getting the phone to transmit, receive, dial out before connecting to the controller.

poplar1

2. You need to strap BB and BBX terminals on the hookswitch, using a short piece of wire.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: poplar1 on July 06, 2018, 10:52:54 PM
Starting with the handset: It appears you have black handset wire connected to R on hookswitch.
Only the one receiver wire (White in diagram) goes to GN on hookswitch. Other 3 handset wires go to the T-TR-L terminal block at the top: transmitter wire to T. Other transmitter and one receiver both go to TR.

I would suggest getting the phone to transmit, receive, dial out before connecting to the controller.

I moved the handset wire to the correct position and still no transmitter action. Currently, I have the controller wired as my CO connection.
Butch Harlow

poplar1

3. There should be only one *wire* on R of hookswitch: It goes to RR in subset. In your photo, this is a solid brown wire. (Remove the yellow wire in photo.)

Butch Harlow

Quote from: poplar1 on July 06, 2018, 11:04:49 PM
2. You need to strap BB and BBX terminals on the hookswitch, using a short piece of wire.

That has also been done.
Butch Harlow

poplar1

I don't see how the controller can be used in place of a standard source of dial tone (central office, Panasonic KX-T 61610 key system, magic jack, ATA, cable modem). It does not generate dial tone.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: poplar1 on July 06, 2018, 11:28:06 PM
I don't see how the controller can be used in place of a standard source of dial tone (central office, Panasonic KX-T 61610 key system, magic jack, ATA, cable modem). It does not generate dial tone.

I am using it to connect to the phone line. The red to Y green to L and yellow to ground on the relay.

The yellow wire on R goes to T up top to connect the red wire from #3 on the relay to the hookswitch.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

This is how its wired now, the only change is the blue wire in the subset is disconnected.
Butch Harlow

poplar1

OK, I see the yellow wire from the relay, although still I would not connect it until I had the talk path working. However, there should be no connection between relay and R on the hookswitch. What you are seeing as R in the diagram is the terminal on the back of the transmitter cup (yes, poorly drawn diagram). Look to the right in diagram and you will see the correct R, that has a yellow color wire going to the subset.No connection to the relay.