News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams

Started by bingster, March 14, 2009, 02:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie M

Hi everyone.  I'm new here and I wanted to say that I used this to connect both my 202 and 211 to 685 subsets and they now work perfect.  My question is are there any similar diagrams for connecting a western electric candlestick with a 5H dial to a 425 network?  the phone has 2 transmit wires and 2 receiver wires and nothing connected to the switch hook so I'm at a loss where to begin.  Thanks in advance for the help.

poplar1

It is possible with some rewiring. Can you look on the neck and see if it is marked something like 50AL, 51AL, or 151AL? Normally you would need 5 conductors between the desk stand and the subset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jfrutschy

???Hi my name is John.  I have had your pix of your wiring diagrams for the 102/202 series with dials in front of my bench so i had them memorized.  ha-ha.  You mentioned these Bayer's who are wiring the phones to work but not using the subsets, they sell them with the Lil ringer box.  Is this also damaging to the phone since your not using the other half of the phone???    I wired my first restored phone n tested it it but FORGOT to omit the black mounting cord wire. got a dial tone (weak) and no break in the signal when dialed.  I inspected the EBAY phone I bought!!!! I sent that pic I havent done a thing in fear of damaging the phone ( I have alot of work in it as I am sure your aware, probally more so cause I am less knowledgeable.  The phone came with the Lil ringer box and was only wired using the RED n Green from the mounting cord (  Is this what will cause the damage, this kind of wiring?   If so then I need to just ommit my black mounting cord wire and add a subset and do like your drawing and USE SUBSET??

Thank you
John.....Another noobie

poplar1

John, it will definitely work better with a subset or mini-network. (The mini-network fits better in the round base phone than in the oval one.) If you use a subset, you will need 3, 4 or 5 conductors between the phone and the subset (depending on the type of subset), and 2 from the subset to the wall jack.

Without a subset or mini-network, you risk acoustic shock to your ear and damage to the receiver.

jfrutschy

Thank you!  If I use the mini network can the small ringer be used?  Found a 634 subset so I can have it both ways have to check on the wires like yous said...

Does the ae wall phone using the 24 dial have the componets to actually build a subset???  It looks just like a subset.  I have tons of questions this is so much more interesting than repairing computers.

Thanx again

poplar1

John,

Either way will work. The 634A subset would be more authentic.

On landlines you can usually have the equivalent of five ringers of the type used in 500  sets (the rotary dial phones that everyone had in the 60s-70s). If it is a 634A, you might have to have fewer phones ringing.

jfrutschy

Gotcha.   Guess 1 634 would get my collection a little jump.  This is my 1st 102, that was in fantastic shape, just had to tweak it some.  Working on  3 more 102's and 2- 202's.  All been glass beaded blasted and are getting powder coated as we speak.  Dials ready!  Handsets bin polished up.  This is so cool!  Thought I wanted to fly RC Planes.   Thanks again.

john

poplar1

The AE 24 wall phone is equivalent to a AE 21 candlestick phone wired to a subset.
You may want to restore the AE 24 rather than using it to make a subset.

For 202s, you can use the base of a Western Electric 302 phone. There are lots of these phones that are cracked so they can be used for parts. One of the members here makes covers that fit on the 302 bases to make your own subsets.

You still need 4 conductors between the 202 and the subset.

stub

jfrutschy ,
          Ray Kotke, who goes by kleenax, is one of the folks who can supply a 302 subset cover.  stub

http://tinyurl.com/3fqlkak ( dead link 06-28-21 )

Kenneth Stubblefield

zaphod01

I used the wiring diagram in this thread to build a working 202 on the cheap. Got the phone from ebay for $29.99. It probably went low because the seller correctly identified it as Northern Electric. I built a subset using a rusty 500 base but had very low volume on the first attempt. The line cord was very brittle and I didn't trust the cable ends I built for the subset side. I had a 4-wire handest cord from an old 500 (broken at the grommet). I installed spade ends on the handest cord, pulled out the line cord from the 202, and installed my cord. Of course, the line cord I built had a black, red, and two white wires. I just connected one of the white wires to green and sorted it out on the subset side later. The new wire solved my volume problem. It ain't pretty but works!

Robert

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Mr. Bones

Nicely done, Robert!

Always remember, one of Murphy's Laws is as follows:

"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

202 wired to a 685A subset per BSP 502-320-414, Issue 1, December, 1971, using a 5-conductor mounting cord.

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2780-502-320-414-i1-service-202b-c-d-hand-telephone-sets-tl

(Submitted to the TCI library by remco-e)

Steve

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem with a d1 I'm trying to get working.

I've had this for about 20 years, and just now trying to get it working correctly. I bought this phone from an antique shop hooked up to work without a subset.

since i got it, even with no subset it has a nasty case of hook switch and dial "pop". I have it hooked up to the subset now following the wiring diagram on this forum.

I am able to make calls now, but the ringer is not working. also the hook switch/dial pops are still present.

my next step will be to bend the dial contacts down as reference here http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4848.0

hopefully that will cure the popping.

but, can anyone tell me how I might get the ringer to work?

here are some pictures of how I have it connected. I had the ringer connected a few different ways, starting with the wiring diagram here http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

WesternElectricBen

"20 years later," a perfect time to begin working on your project. :)

Could you please elaborate your setup so we can better help. To start of, please do this by telling us the kind of subset/induction coil?

Ben

Steve

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 28, 2015, 05:40:35 PM
"20 years later," a perfect time to begin working on your project. :)

Could you please elaborate your setup so we can better help. To start of, please do this by telling us the kind of subset/induction coil?

Ben

Sorry, I seem to have posted this twice. here is the current thread

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13815.0

Thanks for the help so far all.

20 years IS a long time. life got in the way I guess.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.