News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE #3 Toll Board

Started by Babybearjs, January 19, 2016, 03:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

came across this listing On Ebay. Found under 1940-69 section toward end of listings. Listed out of Georgia... seller started bidding at a whopping $25.00! local P/U Only.... anyone need a switchboard?
John

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

HarrySmith

Me too! I want it! Can anyone identify it and share a short description?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Just a short little drive for you Harry! Do you have roof racks?

Toll calls were most often handled by operators at Toll Boards sometimes in the office with the operators who handled the local calls and sometimes in an office on their own. The local operators would route the call to the Toll Operators who would put it through on trunks heading in the right direction and they would keep track of the duration of the call. Note the Calculagraph on the left side and the slots up top on the board to keep the cards.

Even after conversion to Automatic local switching toll calls frequently landed at the Toll Operators to handle the billing.

Terry

Weco355aman

This look's very much like a Automatic Electric Toll switchboard. The real question has it been gutted, Need to see photos of rear.
The next thing is it used special trunks that are IMPOSSIABLE to find. That is if you want to make it work. If it is only for display then it does not matter.
Phil

jsowers

I found the auction. There are plenty of great pics of the rear, so I posted them below. Terry, the seller thinks it's AE, but that's not an AE dial. It also has a 10-button touchpad. What are those three light bulbs for? This thing looks very complete to me, not that I know anything about switchboards. It came from Pensacola and was saved from someone who was scrapping it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321977409499
Jonathan

Fabius

I notice there's no wood sides. The switchboard must of been in a lineup/row of switchboards.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Weco355aman

After seeing the pic. its a Stromberg Carlson switchboard.
There is some hope that the schematics might be available.
It not a gutless wonder. How ever this is only part of what's needed to make it
work. There was Trunks mounted in the switch room that would connect between
switching systems and the switchboard.
Phil

Babybearjs

hopefully, Someone will grab it.... too far for me....
John

Buzby

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 20, 2016, 09:01:47 PM
hopefully, Someone will grab it.... too far for me....

Georgia's on my mind, but not in my vicinity. Hopefully a forum member can snap up a bargain.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Fabius on January 20, 2016, 11:21:44 AM
I notice there's no wood sides. The switchboard must of been in a lineup/row of switchboards.
Quote from: Fabius on January 20, 2016, 11:21:44 AM
The wood sides are easily removable trim. It wouldn't surprise me if someone removed them for a woodworking project. Many of the back panels suffered a woodworkers fate.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.