News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC Transmitter on an 1198 desk phone

Started by Fwbeachbum, August 17, 2022, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fwbeachbum

I am working on a SC 1198 and the transmitter is all tore up. Is there an equivalent from another model that would work? The part number (I think) is 24562.
I know this may make it a Frankinphone but, it's a phone I have had for many years bought from my wife's greataunt for $1.
I am finally working on it and never plan to sell it.
Many thanks
Jeff Lee

Doug Rose

Post a pic of the handset and the element you are looking for.

Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Ditto Doug's post.
Welcome to the best forum on the net!
Pictures are always helpful. Not many here know part numbers but most can easily identify a part visually.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Being that's a 3 wire handset I reckon you could use a AE handset of your choice that is 3 wire.
Might even be able to get away with a WE F1 or E-1.

Your phone, right?
v v v v v v v v v

tubaman

Just took a quick look in my SC handsets and the 24562 transmitter goes in the earlier spit-cup type.
My 'Fatboy' has what I assume is a later type with the same fitting (second photo).

FABphones

Welcome to CRPF.

Quote from: Fwbeachbum on August 17, 2022, 03:26:37 PMI am working on a SC 1198 and the transmitter is all tore up...

Could you expand on 'all tore up'? Photos also would help.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Fwbeachbum

The element is destroyed but the housing and the threads are still fine. Thanks for the diagram. Did other manufacturers use this same screw in design on handsets?
Jeff Lee

LarryInMichigan

I don't believe that any other manufacturer used the same design for transmitter elements.

Larry

Fwbeachbum

Thanks for all the replies. The phone is mine and it is a 3 wire handset.
The picture Tubaman posted is "spot on". The transmitter is the 24562.
Jeff Lee

tubaman

Because of the odd fitting that SC used I'd be looking for an electronic replacement that can be easily hard wired to the cord connections in the handset.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Fwbeachbum on August 17, 2022, 03:26:37 PMI am working on a SC 1198 and the transmitter is all tore up.

These phones are notorious for the Bakelite shrinking and you cannot get the element out. You can't replace a cord if you cannot get the element out. My guess is that is how the element got "tore up." You were fortunate not to have broken the Bakelite that the cap screws into. I know as I have done it!  >:(

If this is the element you need, PM me your address. Welcome to the Forum...Doug
Kidphone

Fwbeachbum

Doug, Many thanks. That would explain why the receiver won't come out of the cap as well.
Jeff Lee

Doug Rose

Quote from: Fwbeachbum on August 19, 2022, 03:00:51 PMDoug, Many thanks. That would explain why the receiver won't come out of the cap as well.
Jeff...if the receiver element won't come out, a different element will not help you. You have to try to get it out without damaging the Bakelite, which is not easy  ...Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Fwbeachbum on August 19, 2022, 03:00:51 PMDoug, Many thanks. That would explain why the receiver won't come out of the cap as well.

Try putting it in the freezer in a zip lock baggie for about 4 hours.
Then remove it and tap it gently on a flat surface, it should loosen it up.
The same thing happens to the colored WE 302 sets but, I've been lucky just tapping them on the bench and using a small punch to push them out being careful not to puncture the capsule.

Fwbeachbum

Thanks I will try that the freezer trick tonight. If that won't work, I may test it as is  once I get a transmitter.
Jeff Lee