News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary phones at my local antique store in NorCal

Started by AliceWonder, November 19, 2022, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Those phones are plastic.  Only the handset and caps are bakelite.

Larry

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 21, 2022, 10:29:01 AMThose phones are plastic.  Only the handset and caps are bakelite.

Thanks Larry. Edited.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

AliceWonder

The 384 is disassembled (yes I took wiring notes), I managed to get the stuck cover of the mouth-piece off by using a combination of WD-40 and a strap wrench (the kind used to change oil filters in a car). I wonder if I'm the first to open it since 1954?

Everything date matches, only one component with a date (the receiver) isn't from 1954 and that's from 1951.

I'll post some pictures later as I start to work on it. I do need to replace the handset cord and I will be servicing the dial (note to self - not the dialer...) including a new overlay but I think everything else just needs cleaning.

I need to test the two capacitors in the 195A - my current multimeter doesn't do that so I'll borrow one. Part of me wonders if it might be better to just buy modern film capacitors of similar specification, 1954 was a long time ago.

But anyway it's apart, took me a few head scratches to figure out the hook switch but I did. I'll start a new thread as I do my first phone restoration but it will take time mainly because I'm not in too much of a rush.

Happy thanksgiving!

Contempra

Quote from: AliceWonder on November 20, 2022, 08:58:19 PM...The dialer works but it is a little sticky if it hasn't been dialed. Dial 0 and let it run, and then it dials everything appropriately - so that needs to be cleaned and lubed.[/b]

Good evening, often, when it's been decades since these phones have not been used, the dial may be frozen a little (stuck at some point), personally, I completely disassemble the dial and I clean each part and I reassemble it and lubricate it and I adjust the 'governor'. For the '500 and 554' models, it's relatively easy to disassemble and reassemble with care. Once done, you'll be happy;)

Contempra

Contempra

Quote from: AliceWonder on November 21, 2022, 07:08:47 PMI need to test the two capacitors in the 195A - my current multimeter doesn't do that so I'll borrow one. Part of me wonders if it might be better to just buy modern film capacitors of similar specification, 1954 was a long time ago.

Good evening, if you change them, finally, if,... do not put anything at the bottom of the values inscribed on the capacitors. You have two choices, but the first is always better.

1 - you install capacitors of the same value.

2 - you install capacitors slightly higher than those already there. But that is in principle on audio-video devices, on telephones, I don't really know. You have to ask experts :D

LarryInMichigan

It is very unlikely that you will need to replace the capacitors.  They do occasionally go bad, but not often.  If they are bad, you will find out when trying to use the phone, and you can replace them at that time.

You can find a wiring diagram for the phone here: link.

Larry

AliceWonder

Quote from: Contempra on November 21, 2022, 09:45:30 PM... do not put anything at the bottom of the values inscribed on the capacitors. You have two choices, but the first is always better.

1 - you install capacitors of the same value.

2 - you install capacitors slightly higher than those already there. But that is in principle on audio-video devices, on telephones, I don't really know. You have to ask experts :D

In a April 29, 1977 AT&T publication I only have one page screenshot of, it says 2.0uF is min and 2.5uF is maximum for Red/Black pair, 0.5uF is minimum and 0.63uF is max for Yellow and Slate pair, which I believe is for the ringer. 500V DC as the test voltage.

So yeah, little bit bigger than the 2uF and 0.5uF that most people cite for it.

But I looked at digikey and it looks like the chip supply issues are still having an impact, options in stock are slim and prices are high. Might be interesting to experiment in the future though with modern replacements.

-=-

For the dial I think I may chicken out and just buy a restored one, pricey but then I can slowly learn the process with mine and not have it delay the other stuff.

TelePlay

QuoteBut I looked at digikey and it looks like the chip supply issues are still having an impact, options in stock are slim and prices are high.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223903733817

FABphones

Before you started taking the phone apart did you try calling out, did you try calling in?

What makes you think it needs new capacitors?

What makes you think you need a new dial?

'overlay'?

I recommended you attach (not insert) photos to this thread. It will help us better help you. We are running blind here.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

There should be no need to replace the capacitors or dial.  The capacitors in these phones are good 98+% of the time, and the dials are almost always usable unless someone has removed or damaged parts.  They can be cleaned and made to work smoothly.

Larry

HarrySmith

I would agree, I have restored quite a few phones and never had to replace a capacitor. Remember when these were made the phone company owned them and were responsible for repairs so they used good products.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

Even when they don't check good on a component tester, they can still do their job in the phone. I did not have to throw away a single one so far.
I know in old radios capacitors are a frequent issue or even safety hazard but not in telephones.

Contempra

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 22, 2022, 06:11:10 AMThere should be no need to replace the capacitors or dial.  The capacitors in these phones are good 98+% of the time, and the dials are almost always usable unless someone has removed or damaged parts.  They can be cleaned and made to work smoothly.

Larry

As far as I'm concerned, that's what I do. I try to see if it works first and if so, then I clean it completely and I oil the dial and I leave it in its own juice. Otherwise, I take it apart, clean and lubricate what needs to be cleaned and try everything again. The most complex are the touch-tone dials. It's quite an art to disassemble and reassemble everything without making a mistake :)