News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who is also running an Asterisk phone server as a hobby or is planning to do so?

Started by Volker, November 04, 2022, 05:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I did make 3 new etensions at the PBX, when I try to connect it seems to be connected from the cellphone app, but does not work, when I try to connect from an ATA Linksys or Utstarcom, it does not connect.  Maybe it is related to some upgrade on the PBX?

markosjal

Did you verify SIP stack use PJSIP or chan_sip and port numbers?

Did you correct the outbound proxy address in UTSTARCOOM?

Did you look for any messages relating to registration on asterisk console?

Based on what you say is your cell phone client connected to Wifi or cell phone provider Internet?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Volker

Highly interesting. It all seems very complicated to me. Despite the tempting FreePBX GUI, it seems you have to open the Asterisk Console to check if the GUI does what you want, if I understood correctly. So there's no getting around learning Asterisk from scratch. With FreeBPX, I also didn't know if, for example, Fail2Ban was already installed or if you had to post-install it and if so, how. This was a disappointment for me.

I once installed FreeBPX and deleted it after a few unsuccessful attempts because the errors were inexplicable to me. This wasted a few days of my limited lifetime. With pure Asterisk, I always know what is happening program line by program line and debugging is easy thanks to the Asterisk Console.  Maybe I'm too stupid or too lazy for FreeBPX, but I get along much better with pure Asterisk at the command line level.

My Asterisk 16.2.1 runs without problems or crashes 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I am very happy with it. Meanwhile my Asterisk server has over 50 subscribers and is still underpowered.

Unfortunately I can't help with FreePBX. But with pure Asterisk I am happy to help. Also, there are tons of instructions, help and suggestions for Asterisk on the command line level on the web.
Volker

dsk

Quote from: Volker on February 02, 2023, 08:08:18 AMSo there's no getting around learning Asterisk from scratch.
I am too lazy to learning Asterisk so my hope was that the GUI was a simple solution... ::)

markosjal

Well the GUI just will not tell you anything about a failed registration attempt while the console will.

Volker

Asterisk is fun. With the help of

https://www-das--asterisk--buch-de.translate.goog/1.6/minimale-telefonanlage.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I taught myself Asterisk. I am neither a nerd nor a programmer.  I have recorded my experiences as a memory aid at

https://elektronikbasteln-pl7-de.translate.goog/asterisk-auf-einem-raspberry-pi?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

for the general public.

My Asterisk server also serves as an interface between different networks. An example: With the Callcentric number 1777 868 2055 you can reach my Asterisk server.  Continue with CallThrough. There is an announcement with the request to enter the desired destination number and to terminate with #. If we want to reach the numbers of C*Net, we have to pre-dial 8876. This is quite simple: There are a few test numbers of C*Net on https://www.ckts.info/test-numbers.php. I want to use Callcentric to listen to the time announcement in Australia ( C*Net +61 (0) 82 1194). So we dial 1777 868 2055 from Callcentric - then wait for the announcement. Then we dial 8876 0061 821194# in one go, not forgetting the # at the end. The connection goes first to Sweden to me. Then to a C*Net server in Texas and then on to Australia. Please try it and report if it works. All numbers from C*Net can be reached with this scheme.

It does not only work with C*Net. Sip2Sip, Iptel, Opensips and many more are also implemented. You can also call with my own numbers normally within my own network.

Then there are numerous test numbers on my server. My own numbers do not need a prefix.  The echo test can be reached with 222. You can also listen to the radio. On the 418 comes Serenade Radio Lincoln. The subtractian game http://www.asteriskdocs.org/en/2nd_Edition/asterisk-book-html-chunk/asterisk-CHP-9-SECT-4.html is reachable as a Python program with the number 345.

All this has been created over the years. Now I can't think of anything useful. Therefore I am glad if others have fun with it.

Volker

markosjal

The asterisk console is your friend. It is not something to fear. rather something to use to your advantage, but yes you might have to learn a thing or two. In this case all you need to do is see it.

You could also check the log files to see if a registration failure shows there too I suppose.

Volker

Someday ChatGPT will be able to write Asterisk scripts for us according to our wishes, or to teach us Asterisk, is my hope. ChatGPT can already write Python scripts according to your wishes formulated in ordinary human language. And it's all free. Let's see what else is coming in the future. This is just the beginning.
Volker

markosjal

Why bother learning how chatGPT when you can just learn the asterisk console?

dsk

I have to say thank you for all the great help here!
Sometimes the interest of learning is limited, just becouse the interests is focused on other things. Not always a wise priority... but that is how it is.

I started with magneto telephones, and it was a large step to rotary, now I have my rotary exchange designed more than 100 years ago running. (It was built in 1946 but the design was old at that time)  I have had to learn a little about DTMF to be able to use the POTS, now that has seen its end here.

The VOIP is the best solution today... but I can not say that I love it 8) .  Thanks to this forum, and this thread with all the help I have got, I am up and running.  The Utstarcom ATA understands rotary, and even better the Grandstream understands Rotary with other dials like the Swedish or Oslo=NewZealand 

So again thank you!  It works ;D

Volker

Quote from: markosjal on February 04, 2023, 10:59:57 PMWhy bother learning how chatGPT when you can just learn the asterisk console?

ChatGPT does not need to be learned. On the contrary. It is your teacher and understands normally formulated questions and provides you with the answers on all sorts of topics. If you wish, it will also write essays for you on a topic according to your specifications. Unfortunately it has no knowledge about Asterisk yet. That will surely come. ChatGPT is only at the beginning of its development.
Volker

Volker

I had successfully registered with ChatGPT a few hours ago. ChatGPT also knows about Asterisk. He even wrote me a simple Asterisk configuration for 3 participants and delivered the sip.conf and extension.conf. But the context under [general] was missing. I complained about this and ChatGPT made a suggestion. Amazing for a start.

But not only that. I wanted to have an AGI script in Python according to my specifications. I described the problem and he provided me with the code.
Volker

markosjal

Pretty soon I am sure someone like Amazon will sell you a Brain interface for some AI like that but they could drop support at any time just like other tech solutions that Amazon has offered

The result might be brain death but no worries

markosjal

Hey I remembered that long ago I had issues with Passwords that were generated by FreePBX and the UTStarcom and I always had to set a Shorter password with only letters and numbers.

To test try a shorter Password Like AbCd12

of course same password on extension in FreePBX and on UTStarcom

As I recall FreePBX generates long passwords that may be longer than the UTSracom will take and/or that somehow the character encoding  may be different for special characters like "@!(%"

avoid long passwords and no special characters

If that works for you........
Yes our Psychic technicians are ready and waiting to help you, so  just call , only $599 per minute

markosjal