News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trendline issues

Started by bdoss2006, February 09, 2023, 02:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdoss2006

Well it's me again with a different itt/northern telecom trendline. This one won't come off the hook either. I think it may be an issues with the button to disconnect on the handset. It is getting 50 volts to one side of the contacts and 0 it at times a volt or two to the other side. I cleaned the contacts as best as I could but it still won't work. What should I do?

HarrySmith

To start with what you should do is post pictures. They are very helpful in trying to diagnose an issue.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: bdoss2006 on February 09, 2023, 02:43:49 AMIt is getting 50 volts to one side of the contacts and 0 it at times a volt or two to the other side.

50 volts AC or DC?

If DC, flip red and green to see if it's a polarity issue. Or did you already try that?

Detailed pictures of the phones internals are needed, complete images of the internals and close ups for specifics.

Kellogg Kitt

I too would like to see pictures.  I was not aware that Northern Telecom ever made Trendline/Trimline.  Their approximation of it was the Contempra.

Wade

bdoss2006

Quote from: 3463319 on February 09, 2023, 10:48:17 AMI too would like to see pictures.  I was not aware that Northern Telecom ever made Trendline/Trimline.  Their approximation of it was the Contempra.

yeah that confused me too, it says northern telecom on the back, but parts on the inside say itt. I'll post pictures in a few minutes.

bdoss2006

Here are some pictures, pay no attention to the white wire in the pic of the base, I just hooked that up to test it easier.

HarrySmith

There is one spot on the flexible circuit that looks a little suspicious, burned? See circled picture attached.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bdoss2006

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 09, 2023, 03:58:09 PMThere is one spot on the flexible circuit that looks a little suspicious, burned? See circled picture attached.
yeah I seen that, it sorta looks like that in a few other places. Now this may be my imagination but the capacitor near the speaker and what I think is a capacitor near the disconnect button almost look like they've been wet. The contacts on the disconnect button looked like they'd had a little too much electricity through them. They were a little burned.

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: bdoss2006 on February 09, 2023, 01:52:40 PMit says northern telecom on the back, but parts on the inside say itt.

Northern Telecom is just the modular adapter backplate, which is removable.

Every modular-converted ITT or Stromberg-Carlson wall phone I have ever seen (including 554 and 2554 sets) has had a Northern Telecom modular backplate.  I suspect that Northern Telecom may have been the major, or perhaps the only, non-Bell supplier of these backplates.

It is interesting that NT made modular backplates for Trendlines, when (to the best of my knowledge), they never made Trendline phones.

Wade

Contempra

Quote from: 3463319 on February 09, 2023, 10:48:17 AMI was not aware that Northern Telecom ever made Trendline/Trimline.  Their approximation of it was the Contempra.

You're probably right for the Contempra but i have an orange one made by Northern Electric (5 wires)

G-Man

Interestingly Northern manufactured several of these types of adapters specifically for Western Electric and Automatic Electric wallphones, including trim-style sets.

bdoss2006

poplar1

Quote from: bdoss2006 on February 11, 2023, 02:17:19 AMWhat should I try to do?

You can bypass the recall button by installing a strap (short wire) between the 2 screw terminals of the recall button. Then you should be able to draw dial tone or answer a call.

The recall button was used for call waiting or to make a 3-way call or to hangup and make another call without having to return the handset to the base. Other than that, it is not needed in the circuit. On a rotary Trimline/Trendline/Slenderet/Styline, you can also disconnect by letting the dial return slowly.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

bdoss2006

Quote from: poplar1 on February 11, 2023, 12:50:18 PMYou can bypass the recall button by installing a strap (short wire) between the 2 screw terminals of the recall button. Then you should be able to draw dial tone or answer a call.

The recall button was used for call waiting or to make a 3-way call or to hangup and make another call without having to return the handset to the base. Other than that, it is not needed in the circuit. On a rotary Trimline/Trendline/Slenderet/Styline, you can also disconnect by letting the dial return slowly.
this one is soldered, it doesn't have screw terminals.