News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using a 685A subset with a 202 or 211 hand telephone set

Started by poplar1, March 15, 2014, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

You can use a 211 diagram to wire a 202 since the circuits are equivalent. The only differences are as follows:

(1) There is no B terminal in a 202; so, you have to improvise a way to connect the black handset wire to the black mounting cord conductor going to the subset.

(2) The 211L shown has a 4-conductor handset cord (G handset) with both the red wire and one white wire going to R. With an F- or E- handset there would be only one handset wire (red) on R. 

Here is the  link to the TCI library for the relevant BSP for a 211L (Figure 1) and for a 685A subset, using 5 conductors between the phone and the subset. Note: the original factory wiring of the 685A has been changed slightly in this diagram.

211: [NOTE: Can also be used for 202]
BSP Section 502-320-400 Issue 2, January 1971
Service 211-Type Hand Telephone Sets

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2773-502-320-400-i2-service-211-hand-telephone-sets-tl

There is another BSP that shows only the subset wiring. It should be noted that the two BSPs show different ways of strapping the line to the network. The 211 BSP shows a blue jumper from L1 on terminal strip  to F and a brown jumper from L2 on the terminal strip to C. The 685A BSP shows the factory wiring of a 685A with a blue jumper from L1 on the terminal strip to RR and a brown jumper from 2 to C.

685A subset with a hand telephone set:
BSP 502-200-404 Issue 9, June 1968
Subscriber Sets--685A Used with Hand Telephone Sets--Connections:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2743-502-200-404-i9-subscriber-sets-685a-use-with-hand-telephone-sets-tl

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Here is a better diagram for using a 202 with a 5-conductor mounting cord connected to a 685A:

502-320-414-i1 in the TCI library

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2780-502-320-414-i1-service-202b-c-d-hand-telephone-sets-tl
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jludtxs

I have a 202 w/4H dial hooked to a 685A subset/425E network. It works perfectly. I bought it complete and working this way. I think this matches the 1st description with exception to wire colors, I am sure because of available wires. I took pictures for those like me who understand visually better. I am sure I have some part words wrong- but with the pics it should be understandable. I will start with the phone wiring then the subset It looks like the white line wire to the subset is not needed but I am describing it as it is in the pictures. The line wire is 6 conductor- red, green, yellow, black, blue, white. Handset wire is red, white, blue.
202 D1 Phone 4H dial-
Line- white wire to switch - W
        red wire to switch - Y
        green wire to switch - BK
        blue wire to dial - BK
        Yellow wire to dial - BB
        black wire to dial - R
Jumpers - black wire from switch BK to dial R
               white wire from dial W to Aux R
Handset - red wire to switch - W
               white wire to Aux - R
               blue wire to dial - R

685A subset w/425E network
Line in from phone - 5 wires used - white is not hooked to anything.
LINE - green to network F
         blue to network RR
         Yellow to network GN
         black to network B
         red to Bell bar L1
Jumper - brown wire from network C to bell bar L2

Line wire to wall jack using rj11 plug at the wall. A new modern cord
         Bell Bar G - yellow wire to wall
         Bell Bar L2 - red wire to wall
         Bell Bar L1 - green wire to wall
There are 4 wires soldered to the coil?- the cylinder under the bells. I am numbering them clockwise left to right starting at the bottom left solder connection.
          #1-  Red/silver wire solder to network - A
          #2-  Black wire solder to bell bar - L1
          #3-  Silver wire solder to network - K
          #4-  Red wire solder to bell bar L2

I had to add another reply to get the subset pictures all in.

jludtxs

Here are the rest of the subset pictures - 202 D1 phone hooked to 685E subset