News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Montgomery Wards Revenge

Started by AL_as_needed, March 18, 2018, 01:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I have table radios whose static level will change with reversal of the plug, but I'd not heard of tuning characteristics changing in that manner.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Quote from: 19and41 on January 28, 2019, 08:43:42 PM
I have table radios whose static level will change with reversal of the plug, but I'd not heard of tuning characteristics changing in that manner.

After some experimentation I found the circuit I was using initially was shared with every appliance in my kitchen. GFIs, the fridge, stove fan-hood, microwave, etc. were all on the same line putting noise into the circuit ( listen the radio when I cook). When I noticed the improvement I overlooked the fact I had added a quality power strip (for mixers and small kitchen tools) and had plugged the radio into that. My best guess is that this power strip is filtering out this interference in the line and giving the radio "clean power"

While not as old as a tube radio, the components are likely a bit lacking in quality to begin with, add 50 years of age on it and here we are. As before, my best guess.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

It is my understanding that most/all old radios use the chassis as a floating ground. This can be dangerous when the plug gets reversed .
You should somehow mark the hot prong of the plug (the "hot" is the  narrow side  of the outlet). I am thinking a discreet mark on the plug or wire with a sharpie.
Maybe use a 3 prong adapter oriented to  the proper polarity on the cord, Then just plug and unplug w/ the adapter.
Just a safety suggestions. We have many forum members and would hate to lose 1 in an accident.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

I used the sharpie on the plug on my little RCA 75X11.  It favors a particular orientation.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

To avoid that problem, I've used these for both my restored lamp telephones (power to the center of the bulb socket) and radios (power not to the metal chassis).

They were a bit cheaper (but I think the ones I bought were shorter by a few feet, these are longer at 15' but can always be easily shortened) a few years ago when I bought a dozen but even at $3.30 each today, it's good insurance for correct wiring and replacement of very old and brittle radio and lamp phone cords.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-BLACK-18-2-Replacement-Lamp-Cord-w-Plug-LOT-of-1-or-10-by-PLD/252739971694

AL_as_needed

Jim: I was not aware that such a serious issue could be present! I figured the radio was not much different than a lamp as in it wasn't too picky on the Hot/Neutral sides, so long as it had current. Now we know!

John: I as well have a few of these cords handy, always rebuilding old power tools. They also make these repro cloth covered extension cords I have used to add a bit of class to some rebuilds.

I'll have to open the radio up some day soon and track this issue down.
TWinbrook7

Key2871

Try this, https://www.allelectronics.com/item/lcac-193/2-conductor-ac-power-cord/1.html

They have different types and styles
It is extremely important to have the proper connection to the outlet. When I was a kid helping my mom in the kitchen, I was wiping down the gas stove (great ground) and I touched the toaster, got an electric shock I'll never forget. The toaster went in the trash, and I also learned a valuable lesson..
Ken
KEN

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: Key2871 on January 30, 2019, 07:15:11 PM
Try this, https://www.allelectronics.com/item/lcac-193/2-conductor-ac-power-cord/1.html

They have different types and styles
It is extremely important to have the proper connection to the outlet. When I was a kid helping my mom in the kitchen, I was wiping down the gas stove (great ground) and I touched the toaster, got an electric shock I'll never forget. The toaster went in the trash, and I also learned a valuable lesson..
Ken

That's a good price but it's only a 6' cord so if 6' will work, a great price (plus shipping). I went with a 10' or 12' cords so placement could be away from a receptacle.

Seems all I could find at All Electronics were 6' cords.

If this is a one time need, a solution would also be to buy an extension cord at Walmart and cut off one end. I've done that many times for everything from indoor line cords to outdoors heavy gauge, long extension cords.

1000Bulbs has an 8' polarized cord for $2.34 plus shipping.

They are out there, just need to Google them.