News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tell me your secrets, NE-2236QC

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, June 10, 2018, 05:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fushigi Ojisan

Per my other post, I was leaving the Lancaster show when I saw this on a vendor's table near the door, struck up a conversation, and liked the price.  After a quick test on the vintage network for a dialtone, I picked it up.   I am presuming the RJ11 cable means someone has already converted it to plug-and-play for home use.   

Anyway, here are some photos, would appreciate any info

Apparently this message board doesn't let me insert images inline, let me see if I can comment here

#1   Overall pic, for some reason a lot of my pics are out-of-focus, sorry

#2   Back of the unit

#3  Top of the unit, shouldn't there be a data plate there?

#4  Better shot of the case

#5  Back of the unit, looks straightforward

#6   Front of the unit, was surprised to see a 15-pin data jack in there!

Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

Fushigi Ojisan

More pics

#1  Its a Model NE-2236QC manufactured in 1971

#2  Could not get it to focus, but the repair tag is dated 9/4/91 

#3 I'm guessing that 7-something on the left is a date code

#4 1970-dated component in the background, the data connector was made by ITT Cannon

#5  and #6   Looks like the original handset and logo

Fushigi Ojisan

Fushigi Ojisan

This is a bit of a heartbreaker:  While the coin door has no lock, it won't budge.   This is another indicator to me it was remodeled for home use.   

I should probably make this its own thread, but, well, how do I pry it off with minimal damage?   My theories are that its either super-glued or soldered in place.   
Fushigi Ojisan

Key2871

Solder wouldn't stick, it would have to be welded.

I wonder if someone used silicone or something like that to hold it in place. I'd use a thin blade putty knife, or maybe even a cheapo knife one you don't care about, see if that gets it loose.

Or, make something that would fit through the hole, but you could either grab onto or something. A toggle bolt would work, but may not be strong enough for pulling hard.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

I used a mini screwdriver (the kind used on eyeglasses) and slid it around the perimeter.  Then slipped the wide part of the handle into the hole and pulled.  It moved a little so I gave it a hard yank and off it came.   Looks like super glue is what held it in.

1.   Coin door, notice the 1969 manufacture date.   Sourcing a lock mechanism now.

2.  Like Al Capone's, there is nothing in this vault either

3.  Closeup of the upper lock, its a Northern Electric 21B.  Sourcing a key now.

Fushigi Ojisan

Greg G.

I don't know a whole lot about payphones, but just for fun I ran a search on ebay and found this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202290823454
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

I think that is high.You might find the smaller 3 slot box with no lid  and a single slot with a lid and put thrm togather

RotarDad

Nice phone, and looks complete on the inside.  There are no top data plates on WE/NE 3 slots; only the AE phones of this era have them.  The rivets on yours are in holes that would be used for top flags (information card frames), if so equipped.  I agree on the coin box- $75 is on the high side, and a repaint is probably not what you want anyway.  I like original, old paint, and coin boxes get scatched with every insertion and removal anyway.  I did exactly as Rdelius stated - found a cheap 3-slot box only, and later added a single slot lid since they interchange.

FYI on your dates, NE used sideways bars to indicate quarter, thus your vault door was made in Q1 of 1969.
Paul

Fushigi Ojisan

Thanks for the input so far!

Looking at the pics and some other parts, they are dated 1970 and 1972, probably assembled from whatever was in the parts bin.

I blew it out with some canned air, not a lot of dust.   Unfortunately it blew off the little tag.  It reads

FTC REPAIR SHOP
Date:      4   4  91  (handwritten)

I did find a nickel that was stuck in there (the little catch/chute before it drops into the coin box).   This got me thinking I should try it out.  Results are as follows:

*  Quarters:  Worked right out of the gate, gong and all

*  Dimes:  First couple of times they went down the change slot, then it started working, two bells.

*  Nickels:  No good.  They get stuck by a square-shaped gate right behind that arm with "P349754" (Inside the blue box in the pic).   I press the coin release button and the nickel drops free into the change slot.

Now would the original function have been to "hold" the change until the call was complete then drop it into the vault?   Just curious why that nickel was stuck in there.   
Fushigi Ojisan

rdelius

I think it is supposed to  first nickel  .When the 2nd nickel is dropped, both will be released. This set is made for 10 cent calls so this  prevents 5 cent calls

Fushigi Ojisan

Quote from: rdelius on June 11, 2018, 08:14:18 PM
I think it is supposed to  first nickel.  When the 2nd nickel is dropped, both will be released. This set is made for 10 cent calls so this  prevents 5 cent calls

You called it, works fine with two nickels. 

Once I get the lockset for the bottom and 21B key for the top, I'll reassemble it and do some more testing.

-----------

I was thinking I would probably just put a plastic mug or a small bin just to catch coins, it doesn't need to be an authentic box.   

On the other hand, just saw this ebay listing.  Will this fit the NE, my under restoration WE, or my bird-in-hand AE?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Payphone-Coin-Collection-Box-Vault-box-for-Coin-Telephone-20-Available/173353632121?hash=item285cae8179:g:UNEAAOSwMM9a~eP-
Fushigi Ojisan

rdelius

That box is for a single slot paystation.  It is to tall to fit a 3 slot.You can find 3 slot boxes with no lid cheep.use without the lid  or get a single slot  lid

Fushigi Ojisan

Thanks for the heads up, will use without the top.

Knew it was too good to be true.
Fushigi Ojisan

Fushigi Ojisan

Got the 21B upper key and vault door lockset from the restorer.   The 21B key works just fine.  Going by the aging patterns, its been a long time since its that upper housing had a working key.

My problem is this:  The vault door doesn't have screws, nor did the lockset come with any.  What are the dimensions so I can go looking for them at Home Depot tomorrow?
Fushigi Ojisan

RotarDad

Here are some modern NOS screws on EBay which should work great.  You could also find similar cap screws like this in the hardware store - the challenge is finding them short enough.  You can always take your lock and door with you to the store to ensure you have the correct thread size, pitch and length.  It's a bit hard to tell from the auction pic, but cap screws use a hex head to install.

ebay.com/itm/161491779689
Paul