News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Discolored Dove Gray 564

Started by Babybearjs, May 12, 2019, 05:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

does anyone know a good way to restore the color to a dove gray 564? the one I have is badly discolored by years of sitting in an office or by a window. I heard someone using hydrogen peroxide but don't know if that ever worked. someone also mentioned leaving the plastic parts out in the sun for a day, but I don't know about that either!  any clues??
John

FABphones

This thread from 2011 has some interesting info re peroxide treatments:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4658.0

And for good and detailed info on chemically sanding ABS, this thread by TelePlay:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bb4773256bde51c061dcc971ab7663fb&topic=20168.0
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Babybearjs

Thank you. I'll investigate this one!
John

twocvbloke

It's well worth watching some of The 8-bit Guy's restoration videos as he shows the process of de-yellowing plastics for various computers he acquires, and it's a simple process, a black container (for solar heating purposes) filled with water with hydrogen peroxide added to it, plastics added and left to spend time in the sun... :)

His Commodore 128D restoration video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_sxTwD4lVs

FABphones

To add, I would always recommend placing a proper secure and solid lid on peroxide baths. Whether used inside or out.

I purchased a clear container with a clear clip on lid, large enough to fit a phone with a bit of room around for movement. It's not airtight, and is safe enough to be left unattended for short periods.

Price was about $4.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Babybearjs

I'm curious if doing the water/hydrogen mixture on the stove would work... leaving the plastic out all day seems like it would take too long.
John

twocvbloke

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 13, 2019, 04:58:20 AM
I'm curious if doing the water/hydrogen mixture on the stove would work... leaving the plastic out all day seems like it would take too long.

You could do that (the 8-bit guy trialled this too with varying results), the only potential problems is plastic distortion if the temperature isn't kept low enough...

Babybearjs

what about using regular bleach? has anyone tried that?
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 13, 2019, 11:55:25 AM
what about using regular bleach? has anyone tried that?
Collectors used to use dilute bleach to bleach white 302's. The retro brite seems to be a better choice on light colored plastics (other than bleachable white).
Just an opinion.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

kleenax

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 12, 2019, 05:09:02 PM
does anyone know a good way to restore the color to a dove gray 564? the one I have is badly discolored by years of sitting in an office or by a window. I heard someone using hydrogen peroxide but don't know if that ever worked. someone also mentioned leaving the plastic parts out in the sun for a day, but I don't know about that either!  any clues??
I have used this process with success: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright

Just make certain that you first CLEAN the plastic parts throughly with degreaser, like a good washing/soft bristle brushing in warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Some that tried this complained of "blotching", and I never experienced that because I always washed the parts well first. And yes, you CAN let the phone parts sit in BRIGHT sunlight, but ONLY if they are also totally immersed in the RetroBright liquid. I didn't use the "gooey" formula, but instead just opted for a totally liquid solution made with distilled water & mentioned chemicals. I did have to weight down the plastic parts though, because once you add the Oxidizer (OxyClean), the bubbles will fizz up and actually lift and tumble your parts if you don't weight them down! Looks just like a big bath of 7-Up that you are soaking your parts in, but it works!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

I have used a creme hair peroxide formula with great results. I also have the advantage of great South Florida sunlight. The sunlight is the key as the reaction between the peroxide and the UV is what does the trick.

EDIT: some have used UV lights with good results.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

ahhh... so thats what the sun is for... OK, I'll try it... Unlike Florida, our sun is limited... trees, etc. create issues... I washed the plastic parts last night in the dishwasher... wound up changing out the handset cord... I think its too far gone... too stiff and I'd just like to buy a new one... longer... about 12 ft! anyone know where one could find a gray handset cord? a lost color indeed! and at 12 feet even!
John

twocvbloke

There's still some debate as to whether it's the UV, the heat or a combination of both that accelerates the process of de-yellowing, but the sun provides both UV and heat, so saves burning electricity on running a stove and/or UV lights to achieve the desired effect, unless it's in the middle of winter when ol' Sol is at it's lowest effect... :)

Babybearjs

well, I'll just have to give it a try! wish me luck!
John

Stormcrash

A youtuber named Adrian Black has had retrobrite success using peroxide cream and Blue LED Lights to trigger the reaction.  He mounted the LEDs inside a foil lined box and placed the plastic wrap and peroxide cream covered components inside.  Temperature measurements he took during the process showed that the temperature remained near ambient while still achieving good results.

Adrian's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE5dIscvDxrb7CD5uiJJOiw