News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gary (oldguy) has a phone booth!!!

Started by oldguy, October 09, 2020, 07:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

So, last Saturday my son texts me "Do you NEED a phone booth?" Along with a picture. Of course I needed a phone booth😀. It was at a yard sale around the corner from his house. He didn't know how much it cost. I drove over there & by then there was a price tag on it, $50.00 with a payphone, so of course I now own a phone booth. I do have a Few questions.
1. Where do I get phone booth parts? Like glass seals (that go around the glass), 1 TELEPHONE glass sign for the top, don't know what else yet.
2. The phone looks a Western Electric. I'm not planning on restoring the phone, I just want to use it as an outside phone. What's the best way to drill out the locks?
Gary

Key2871

Wow, what a great find and a greater price.
Payphone installer would have answers for you as far as the phone and booth drilling out the locks is not a recomended way to get into it.
Have you looked at other posts in payphone here?
Thats where I would start. If you know that it came from that area Jim, payphone installer most likely has a key for the upper, and you need the T key to unlock the security feature as well.
But yea its a Western. Good luck getting into it
KEN

oldguy

Thanks Ken. Here are some pictures of the phone. If anyone can fix my sideways pictures, I'd appreciate it.
Gary

Fixed your pictures for you.

Stormcrash

Interesting coin return, don't think I've seen one labeled "Made by Western Electric" in that font before. Usually there "Bell System made by Western Electric" with WE in the lightning font or no marks at all

Key2871

Yea, I'm wondering if its an early one, the face plate looks satin too.
As for your pictures hold your phone horizontally then do your pictures. It would be rather hard to get into those locks with no key without damaging the case.
But find a T key first off then look into drilling the vault door in specific areas to get into the vault. Your going to need a new vault door, but they arent much on ebay.
And and Jim Engle would have an idea what you could try for the upper.
And do you have a cape to go with your shirt?
Very apropos for your booth shot, lol.
KEN

Quote from: Stormcrash on October 09, 2020, 08:56:45 PM
Interesting coin return, don't think I've seen one labeled "Made by Western Electric" in that font before. Usually there "Bell System made by Western Electric" with WE in the lightning font or no marks at all

Likely made for and used by a independent Telco.

Doug Rose

Gary....what a find! $50...you were wearing your mask, right?  8) It was a steal. ;D

Find of the year my friend.

Check with a glass company that installs shower doors, they might have the gaskets you need.

That is just a beauty.

Happy for you my friend....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 09, 2020, 09:30:22 PM
Check with a glass company that installs shower doors, they might have the gaskets you need

Good idea Doug, I didn't even think of that.
KEN

david@london

Great find, Gary. You might find this instructional video helpful in getting to grips with your new booth ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHtYBif7Ric&ab_channel=OctavariusComedy

Key2871

KEN

Key2871

Hey Gary, ive done some digging for resolve to getting into your phone.
As mentioned your going to sacrifice the vault door, that cant be helped, but there are two ways to gain access to the vault. One buy drilling in specific areas to gain entry, and the other probably faster way id to cut the lock bar with a cutoff saw. Thwn use a skate key or T key to open the rest and remove the door.
Both can be viewed here...
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17355.0

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14980.0
The last one is probably faster. But you will need a  T key, but you'll need one anyway since you now own a single slot phone.
Good luck!

Ken
KEN

Pourme

~

Gary....

What great luck! You owe your son a beverage of his choice!

I'm happy for you, find of the month for sure!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Thank you everybody for your input & congratulations. I'll keep you all updated on my progress.
Gary