News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My odd antique store find today

Started by markosjal, January 23, 2021, 05:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I walked into an antique styore to quickly find a corner with some old AEs, WEs and the like in the corner.

At first look I did not see too much interesting however   a Candy Apple Red rotary dial "trimline" kind of stood out. Turned out it was the only reasonably priced one in the bunch too. But wait (or weight), as I picked up the handset something seemed "off" and the handset seemed too light even for the "ITT" marking that seemed to match the same color red on the number retainer on the base (Removed in Pics). I recently had some ITT trimlines and they were definitely heavier handsets than this.

Turning over the base I see "Gondola" and "Country of origin Spain" (In English) among other things . I am familiar with the "Gondola" Name for Trimlines that is what they call them in Mexico. Typically they are cheap knock-offs made by Indetel.

Interesting points

Seems this was sold in the USA  (see bottom labels) FCC Sticker on bottom.

The base bore a matching red nameplate (number retainer size) that reads "ITT" (removed in pics) . I will not assume however that this is an ITT phone that is made in Spain. Seems likely that someone put it on this phone.

Compact ringer with 2 Gongs of different tones.

uses 5 conductor handset cord as the electronics are in the base.

Plastic shells seem very much WE/ITT/SC compatible/interchangeable

Date seems to be 1978

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

dsk

Looks interesting! I would love better pictures of the wiring diagrams.

dsk

countryman

It seems they were popular in Spain and Italy so "made in Spain" sounds reasonable.
Google "Telefono Gondola" finds a lot of pics but little info on wiring diagrams or other details.
This one has the North American dial layout with letters so it might be a dedicated export model.

tubaman

I have this chocolate brown European version I picked up just before Christmas.
As said, yours has a USA dial layout so was likely an export model.

tubaman

Here's the best I can manage on the other circuit diagrams. Not easy to photo at all.

RB

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on January 24, 2021, 07:12:12 AM
...Not easy to photo at all.

Are they firmly attached or the plastic peelable type. If they come away easily maybe scan and add to Circuit Diagrams section.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

The photo quality is plenty good enough to help a collector to troubleshoot.
Edit to add: Citesa apparently was an ITT company.

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on January 24, 2021, 07:20:53 AM
Are they firmly attached or the plastic peelable type. If they come away easily maybe scan and add to Circuit Diagrams section.
They seem pretty well attached so I'm not going to mess with them.
Quote from: countryman on January 24, 2021, 07:36:50 AM
Thanks.

dsk

Quote from: countryman on January 24, 2021, 07:36:50 AM
Edit to add: Citesa apparently was an ITT company.
Agree, the circuit is pretty well designed, and I find it much better than some other ITT diagrams of the same era.
Looks like the led in the handset is polarity sensitive.

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on January 24, 2021, 07:45:55 AM
They seem pretty well attached so I'm not going to mess with them...

I wouldn't either if firmly adhered, but was worth checking.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Quote from: dsk on January 24, 2021, 08:06:44 AM
Looks like the led in the handset is polarity sensitive.
I think it is.
That is the one bit that doesn't work on mine  :'( and it's not easy to replace as it's a custom part with a built in Zener diode. I'd rather leave the original broken part in situ than cobble something just so the dial lights up.

paul-f

Quote from: markosjal on January 23, 2021, 05:38:08 AM
Seems this was sold in the USA  (see bottom labels) FCC Sticker on bottom.

The base bore a matching red nameplate (number retainer size) that reads "ITT" (removed in pics) . I will not assume however that this is an ITT phone that is made in Spain. Seems likely that someone put it on this phone.

ITT made a licensed clone version of the Trimline trademarked "Trendline."

In addition, they sold the Spanish made Gondola in the U.S. under their "Own-A-Phone" program, as discussed in this topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3120.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

compubit

Looking at this - so the network is in the base, and just the dial, transmitter and receiver are in the handset?

If so, very interesting...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

markosjal

I Guess I am putting the "ITT" Nameplate back on this!

Thanks for the name Citesa that looks like it is what I can not read on bottom of phone "Made By Citesa. Country of Originb Spain"

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish