News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Couple of Colored AE Phones

Started by LarryInMichigan, June 15, 2022, 09:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Last week, I saw a listing for a red AE40 and ivory AE50 on FB Marketplace.  The seller said that the phones had come from his father-in-law who had worked for the phone company in Chicago.  He agreed to ship the phones to me for a total of $100.  He packed the phones well, and they arrived today.  I haven't had much time to look at them yet, but they are obviously not entirely original.  The AE 40 is missing the ringer and two of the screws that hold the dial, and the cords are wrong.  I haven't looked inside the AE 50, but the plastic has plenty of discoloration.  I think that overall though, they are worth more than the $100 I paid.

Gary Z

Those are a pretty good score in my book!! Well done.

FABphones

Well found! Both are very nice additions to your collection Larry.

Enter one of them into Find of the Month. But which to choose...

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Beautiful phones sir, what dreams are made of..........well at least mine.

HarrySmith

Awesome! You did very well. IIRC the last color AE 50 on eBay went for like 3K! Great deal. Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Nice find. I am still looking for my $25 red AE40. I guess I need to change my price due to inflation now.

Enjoy it.

Jorge
Jorge

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 15, 2022, 09:35:13 PMLast week, I saw a listing for a red AE40 and ivory AE50 on FB Marketplace.  The seller said that the phones had come from his father-in-law who had worked for the phone company in Chicago.  He agreed to ship the phones to me for a total of $100.

Larry....what did you pay for the phones? Were they together in an ad? Tremendous find....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

The seller was asking $50 obo for each or $75 for the pair. He was expecting to sell to a local buyer.  When I asked him about shipping, he offered to ship the phones if I paid $100 to include shipping.  I couldn't refuse the offer.  Why nobody else bought the phones, I have no idea.  If the seller were in a major metropolitan area, I expect that the phones would have sold very quickly.

Larry

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Witty

All I can say is.....WOW!
These phone are beautiful.
What a deal.
Ken

HarrySmith

If you need one I believe a have a NOS Extensicord for it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

I may have a slightly tattered Extensicord around here somewhere in my mess.  I will let you know if I need one.  I still have some cleaning, sanding, and polishing to do.  So far, I managed to largely sand out the rough wear spot on the red handset.  The splotchyness on the ivory phone was mostly dirt, but it does need some bleaching.  The plastic is tenite.

Thank You

Larry

stub

LarryInMichigan,
                 Great find !!!!!!!!!stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

oldguy

Super find Larry, beautiful phones.
Gary

LarryInMichigan

I cleaned up and reassembled the red AE40.  I found a spare ringer and reasonably decent handset cord in my collection of stuff.  The phone is on my desk now.  The volume from the transmitter seems to be too loud.  I didn't carefully check the wiring, so something might be connected incorrectly.

Larry