News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black 500 marked -S

Started by allnumbedup, January 12, 2023, 09:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I bought this phone as a tag along with another locally on FB. It is a very standard black 1971 C/D 500.  Components are all late 71 and the case is 72. It has a molded dial face overlay. I wonder if anyone knows what the "S" indicates on the base---there is also and S on the IV-71 dated ringer and "KIT" stamped on the right front corner of the base. The ringer is a straight line ringer. I have not seen this before and can't find such here or TCI. thanks JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World

allnumbedup

I forgot to state that all plastics and parts are Western Electric

HarrySmith

Can we get a picture of the rest of the insides? Including the dial. It was probably something special that was added.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: allnumbedup on January 13, 2023, 08:16:00 AMI forgot to state that all plastics and parts are Western Electric

Housing: "Western Electric" or "Bell System Made by Western Electric"?

Handset: "Western Electric" or "Bell System Not For Sale"?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

allnumbedup

Handset and Case are marked Bell Systems, no 6-conductor mounting cord or terminal strip installed below the 9c dial for another device. Of note the station cord is a round three conductor cord dated 66 and marked D3BN on its restraint. This station cord ends in a four prong round 505A plug seen in the background of the second picture.  The 505A plug now has a 15 inch length of modular clear cable that is marked WE in "Hawthorne" Font on the modular plug and M4AR 1984 on its restraint.  The restraint is only four inches from the modular end and the other end of this cord has four spade connectors attached into the slots inside the 505A--so connected in parallel to the four prong plug. Both these cords exist the same place on the 505A which cracked the neck of the case. In my opinion this is also an interesting feature but likely added later and has nothing to do with the "s" on the phone. Also two other things: I looked under the bolt holding down the coil of the ringer and it is only marked "-S IV 71" on the bracket without any other impressed or stamped marks anywhere on the ringer. It seems to me now that the "s" on the bottom looks a little bit darker black--- like it was maybe added.  No refurb stickers or other stamps to show you

HarrySmith

HMMM. Could it be the red stripe ringer that was added??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: allnumbedup on January 13, 2023, 04:35:33 PMThe 505A plug now has a 15 inch length of modular clear cable that is marked WE in "Hawthorne" Font on the modular plug and M4AR 1984 on its restraint. 

M4AR is a test cord for checking modular jacks. (From TCI Library)

There was a similar cord on early modular  554 sets (1972-?) that plugged into the 630A modular wall jack. There was also a spring-loaded lever on the backplate that you had to operate in order to install or remove the phone from the wall jack.

allnumbedup

being test equipment might explain the garish see through colors and odd placement of the restraint. thank you JC

HowardPgh

I wonder if the S indicates a special purpose phone made for someone with bad eyesight.
Is the big number plate a sticker or the actual number plate.
Howard

allnumbedup

Thank you for all the suggestions. Here is the face plate enlarged type cover--- clear thinnish plastic over thin paper without any markings.

HowardPgh

In my study of 565 and 2565 HKM phones, the S suffix had to do with the hookswitch opening both tip and ring sides of the line. I wonder if that means the same thing here.
Howard

poplar1

All 500D sets switch both tip and ring.

Guessing that the S is for the Shreveport, Louisiana factory.
New models were first made in the Indianapolis factory. Later production of some models was moved to Shreveport.