News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 251 Ringer does not work

Started by phoneyouth, February 15, 2023, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoneyouth

Quote from: RDPipes on February 19, 2023, 03:18:52 PMYour biggest problem I see right off is that you have a frequency ringer and not the usual straight ringer.
This is why it doesn't ring right now.
Your also missing the screw that holds down the condenser, this will have no affect on its ring ability though.
I do have a extra straight ringer for your 302,  just let me know and I can send ya one.

I'm surprised your friend didn't catch that.

Yes, I would appreciate you sending the ringer my way and anything you think might be of use. How much do you want for it? And what do I need to give you to send it my way? I am in East Tennessee.

How hard would it be to change the ringer out?

TelePlay

Absolutely correct, that's a frequency ringer. This is what a B1A straight line ringer, the correct ringer for that phone as built by WE, looks like.

RDPipes

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 19, 2023, 03:33:05 PMYes, I would appreciate you sending the ringer my way and anything you think might be of use. How much do you want for it? And what do I need to give you to send it my way? I am in East Tennessee.

How hard would it be to change the ringer out?
Just PM me your address and I'll get it out to you hopefully by Tuesday.

phoneyouth

Quote from: RDPipes on February 19, 2023, 03:49:53 PMJust PM me your address and I'll get it out to you hopefully by Tuesday.

I have sent you a PM.

THANKS, AGAIN!

How hard is it to change out the ringer? I'm a computer guy but have never changed out a phone component.

MMikeJBenN27

Bye the way, that is a 5H dial.

Mike

TelePlay

QuoteHow hard is it to change out the ringer?

Normally, if all is as originally built, back out the set screw that is parallel to the base until the thread side is flush with the metal bracket, use a flat blades screwdriver to raise the ringer up and past the set screw, lift out the ringer and disconnect the two ringer wires.

To install, reverse the above procedure. Connect the wires, insert the ringer, press the gong side of the ringer frame down past the set screw bracket and turn the set screw in until tight against the ringer frame.

phoneyouth

Quote from: TelePlay on February 19, 2023, 05:55:00 PMNormally, if all is as originally built, back out the set screw that is parallel to the base until the thread side is flush with the metal bracket, use a flat blades screwdriver to raise the ringer up and past the set screw, lift out the ringer and disconnect the two ringer wires.

To install, reverse the above procedure. Connect the wires, insert the ringer, press the gong side of the ringer frame down past the set screw bracket and turn the set screw in until tight against the ringer frame.

Thank you. This helps! Is there a video somewhere that shows this procedure?

FABphones

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 19, 2023, 11:41:59 PM...Is there a video somewhere that shows this procedure?

Teleplay describes the 'how to' well. Let us know how you get on.

For more information on your phone you can also use the 'Search' button at the top of this page.

Lots of great info on CRPF!
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

That is a strange looking ringer. Definitely a frequency ringer as already stated but it does not look like any WE ringer I have seen before. Any idea who made it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 20, 2023, 07:50:03 AMThat is a strange looking ringer. Definitely a frequency ringer as already stated but it does not look like any WE ringer I have seen before.

I've seen that ringer before but can't remember who made it.

IIRC, the ringer was designed and made to fit the ringer mount of a 302 so this phone may have an F1W handset (not stated or shown by the OP).

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on February 20, 2023, 08:03:49 AMI've seen that ringer before but can't remember who made it.

Stromberg-Carlson. Kellogg also made a frequency selective ringer for W.E. sets

Quote from: TelePlay on February 20, 2023, 08:03:49 AMIIRC, the ringer was designed and made to fit the ringer mount of a 302 so this phone may have an F1W handset (not stated or shown by the OP).

This is a W.E. 251.  "AB1" should be stamped on the housing, rather than "H1."

Nope,  this frequency ringer won't fit in a 302 base. The ringer mount is different: Notice that the lip that is parallel to the base is shorter. However, a standard B1A ringer will fit in both the 251 and the 302.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

phoneyouth

Are you saying my phone is a Western Electric 251?

Not a 302?

poplar1

Is the inside of the housing marked AB1 or H1 or something else? AB1 is a 251. That ringer will not fit in a 302 ringer mount, but a B1A ringer that you need will fit in either a 251 or a 302.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

phoneyouth

Do I also need to change the handset cable?

The base cable seems fine.

RDPipes

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 20, 2023, 05:06:30 PMDo I also need to change the handset cable?

The base cable seems fine.

Yeah, I think I'd change that, lol!