News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

K6 & other GPO Telephone Boxes

Started by david@london, April 26, 2012, 02:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

The Ladykillers is one of my favorite movies.  I guess this will be a good reason to see it again, though the performers will make it difficult to pay attention to the location shots.   :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Atwick, East Yorkshire, 2017

Hummmm..........

countryman

Looks like a vehicle crashed into the stone wall and the phone booth as well?

david@london

Ker-Runch! Happily, the phonebox was replaced after a local campaign & the involvement of the Member of Parliament....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-40826095

Butch Harlow

"Too expensive to maintain" sounds like a nonsense excuse. What needs maintaining on a 2000lb hunk of cast iron? Built to last a thousand years, just occasionally paint it, maybe lubricate the door hinge once every decade.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

So true, but window glass and the phone inside has to be maintained. If it were not for the idiots who have to destroy or paint or just deface a public used item. They wouldn't be expensive to maintain.

Was the picture of the booth destroyed by a vehicle, done by accident? Or was or deliberate.

I remember seeing walk up payphones in town that were fine, but all the sudden some one has to get stupid and destroy a payphone to get their jollies?
There was a woman who needed a payphone because of an emergency, but the only one near by was rendered unusable because someone ripped the handset off and painted the phone red with a can of paint.
So the phone company decided to remove the entire thing.
Up to that point it was a well used phone.
This was before cell phones were in everyone's pocket..
KEN

david@london

From the local Yorkshire Post newspaper:

Mike Crowther, Chairman of Atwick Parish Council said: "On Saturday May 13 a driver came down the hill from Hornsea, ploughed through the stone planter, through the telephone box and finally came to a rest having done quite a lot of damage to the car and to the village."

V good to hear that BT were persuaded to reinstate the public telephone box in this village, where apparently the mobile (cellphone) signal is quite poor. If there's no mobile signal in a particular area, public call boxes should be de rigueur - or a legal requirement, imho.

New K6 and stone planter .....

countryman

Not only the box is remarkable but also the pole behind it. It seems the houses around are wired straight from this single pole? So the phone box is something like the "central office" of the village :-)

FABphones

Generally: rural, from telephone kiosk underground to pole, from pole to pole/s until close to the green street junction box then underground from near pole and into box. Same for houses, to pole/s to junction box.

In town, may run underground all the way to exchange. Distance dependant.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Yes I though it remarkable the pole survived, as well as the pedestal in front of it. The rock wall, and the kiosk didn't, But the after looks nice.
KEN

david@london

The phone box can just be seen in this 1930s (?) postcard....

I didn't realize that one picture could generate so much information. 

david@london

Restoring a GPO K6 phone box?
This company, X2 Connect, would seem to be the correct, BT-approved supplier of paints and spare parts ....

https://www.x2connect.com/Shop/k6#Doors

tubaman

A lot of these boxes now hold defibrillators rather than a phone - we have one in my village. For many years before that the phone in the box was emergency/operator calls only as the coinbox had been removed.
:)