News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic KX-T 1020E Easa-Phone, gets stable mate 1516BE

Started by gpo706, March 20, 2011, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Another nice little gadget, a speaker unit, runs off 12V adapter (missing), or line voltage, but linked to a Pana 616 there's 4 REN coming out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320663775137&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So you just flick the switch at the back to the line input, plug into a double adapter with  whatever phone you want and hey presto, a "Charlie's Angels" style speakerphone unit, works like a dream.

Came in original box, but with no instructions, hardly relevant as the controls are - "Volume" slider, "Mute" and "On/Off".

When you hit the On/Off button without a phone being lifted you get a dial tone, but it doesn't dial out even on a DTMF sender!

It's a nice wee set, and works perfectly, well chuffed!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Owain

Which happens to be extremely similar to the BT Melody which was only ever sold in a line power version.

The BT version had a 'Keats Adaptor' on the line cord so the extension tele. was in series with the speaker unit. If you took the speaker unit on hook before the tele. had finished impulsing out you got a failed connection.

It may have been made by Whiteley Electronics but it still had knobs and sliders in 'Panasonic Grey'.

gpo706

Yes might have been made under license , its a Panasonic (Matsui Corporation ?) genuine Japanese made item, it even has a sticker proudly emblazoned on the front - "MADE IN JAPAN".

What is a "Keats adaptor"?

What happens with this unit is when you power it up it disconnects the RX on the handset and routes it through the speaker, quite clever.

You are proved correct, I found a "Melody" here:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/ampls16a.htm

Looks like the same stuff in a slightly raised case, I wonder how many were made.

Owain

Sounds like it has a Keats adaptor then, if it cuts off the phone.

LJU 10/7A or 10/11A <here>

GG

Or the Ambassador phone requires a specified voltage to operate, thereby providing a built-in type of extension exclusion. 

When the Panasonic speakerphone is just bridged across the line, it looks like another extension. 

The way these were used:  Make outgoing call on handset phone, then tell called party you're putting them on speaker, then press On button on speakerphone, and lastly hang up handset.  For incoming calls, just press the On button on the speakerphone. 

It may be that these were basically line-powered but the adaptor was offered "just in case" for people who were further from the CO, to be sure the device always worked out of the box.  Panasonic tends to do things like that. 

Where'd the name "Keats adaptor" come from?  Keats was a philosopher, so perhaps there's something obscure in his writings that dealt with logic, and was in some manner applicable to an adaptor that does an automatic logical OR? 

Owain

Quote from: GG on March 20, 2011, 08:42:29 PM

Or the Ambassador phone requires a specified voltage to operate, thereby providing a built-in type of extension exclusion.  ......

It may be that these were basically line-powered but the adaptor was offered "just in case" for people who were further from the CO, to be sure the device always worked out of the box.  Panasonic tends to do things like that. 

Where'd the name "Keats adaptor" come from?  Keats was a philosopher, so perhaps there's something obscure in his writings that dealt with logic, and was in some manner applicable to an adaptor that does an automatic logical OR? 

I never used mine with an Ambassador phone, just for eavesdropping on my parents' phone calls.

I don't know where the Keats name came from, but it's what they were always known as IIRC. Probably there's a Bill Keats somewhere who wired one up as a bodge for something and the name and the apparatus stuck.

gpo706

Quote from: GG on March 20, 2011, 08:42:29 PM

When the Panasonic speakerphone is just bridged across the line, it looks like another extension. 

The way these were used:  Make outgoing call on handset phone, then tell called party you're putting them on speaker, then press On button on speakerphone, and lastly hang up handset.  For incoming calls, just press the On button on the speakerphone. 

GG you're quite right just tried this through the Pana 616, you don't even need to lift the handset, you just click the on button and the call comes through the speaker, so is this "bridged" across the extension then.

This makes it an even cooler gadget than I thought, its excellent!

gpo706

Got its cosmetically similar answerphone for peanuts as a companion piece, its a double cassette system, the top case shot with the sky reflected looks very very sexy!

Apparently never used, though the remote is missing, darn it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150608526484&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

gpo706

There's nil cassettes in it, so another ebay hunt...

Its perfect cosmetically though, never been used, although the remote was still missing, I think I will experiment with a tone dialler and see what happens through the remote Pana 616.

Owain

Quote from: gpo706 on June 07, 2011, 06:08:17 PM
There's nil cassettes in it, so another ebay hunt...

The ICM should be a standard cassette tape (C30 or C60 - longer lengths not recommended as they stretch too easily)

Owain

gpo706

Owain you are a star, never came up on any of my searches!

From what I recall from the instruction leaflet, looks like the one... :)

gpo706

I tried "Easa-Phone" rather than KX-T etc,

Heres a "knobless" 2 cass machine... - KX-T1446BE

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-Easa-Phone-Model-KX-T1446BE-answering-machine-/270759935164?pt=UK_MobilePhones_HomePhones_HomePhones_JN&hash=item3f0a8cbcbc

The Panasonic numbering system seems a completely arbitrary shambles, this looks a more modern machine than mine and it's numbered in a lower range?

Here's a black KX-T1445BE -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-Easa-Phone-Automatic-Tel-Answering-System-/270760438211?pt=UK_MobilePhones_HomePhones_HomePhones_JN&hash=item3f0a9469c3

From the US of A -

KX-T1016 Easa-Phone Gold/Wood

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-KX-T1016-Easa-Phone-Gold-Wood-/370506940057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5643ef3e99

gpo706

Thank you very much for that tip-off Owain, won the auction, and here it is in all its glory!

Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for the Panasonic KX-A56!

Owain