News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone Collect Antique Fans?

Started by BDM, July 05, 2009, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I have a few old fans.  There is a good forum for fan collectors at: http://www.afcaforum.com/.  Fan collecting is more complicated than phone collecting.  There are many manufacturers and models, and the values range all over.  From what little I have learned, old fans are often worth much less than one might think (or a flea market seller might want).  You should be able to find a decent 1940s fan for much less than $95.  Keep in mind though that restoring old fans is far messier than restoring old phones.  Cleaning out the old oil and grease is quite a messy job.

Larry

Dennis Markham

My Vortalex isn't quite as old as Ralph's.....or in as good of condition....I believe this one is from 1950.  I bought it at a flea market for $15 last year.  I took it apart, changing the grease and I use it all the time.  As Ralph said, it really moves the air.  I also have a couple GE's that are a bit later that oscillate that work well.  I use them often, even with he A/C on (to help circulate the air).  I see them often at the flea market.  I saw a  Vortalex the other day but the seller wanted $25 for it and it wasn't in very good shape.  

I don't think you can go wrong with GE or Westinghouse.

Here's a link I posted a while back when we were talking about fans.  This is when I found my Vortalex.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1239.msg42696#msg42696

rp2813

I recently re-visited that fan forum and found that in order to participate, you now must join the association and pay dues. 

I also found the webmaster's attitude regarding instructions for signing up to be a little on the snippy side, so I have hesitated to join as a result.  Just gave me a bad impression about the site.

If I'm mistaken in my interpretation of the environment on those forums, please do advise, as I'd like to get information on repairing a recently acquired Mathes Cooler, pictured below.
Ralph

LarryInMichigan

I have an account on the forum even though I am not a paying member of the AFCA.  They do restrict access to certain areas, like their picture gallery, to paying members, but I have had no problem posting questions.  Overall, it is not as friendly and helpful as this forum, but it's not bad.  I posted questions about a few fans which I was considering buying to get an idea of what they were worth before I wasted alot of money on something common, and I get some helpful advice.

Larry

rp2813

Dennis, be careful with the wing bolt that adjusts the tilt on your Vortalex.  The fork it holds in place appears to be pot metal or something soft, and the threads in mine have stripped.  There's not much that can be done, so I fashioned a helicoil out of a small section of the soft metal covering for the cork and neck on a wine bottle, which is at least keeping the wing bolt tightly in place, but it can easily strip again if tightened too much.
Ralph

Dennis Markham

Ralph, I just checked as I have an account on that forum as well.

http://www.afcaforum.com/

As Larry mentioned, I can still log into the Forum but cannot access other areas of the club's web site.

Dan here are a couple of photos of two more GE's that I have.   I see these from time to time.  The first two photos are of the smaller 10-inch blade (single speed) and the other a two-speed with a 12 inch blade.

Ralph, thanks for the heads-up on the wing bolt for adjusting the tilt.

rp2813

Thanks Larry and Dennis.  I will give the forum another look.
Ralph

JorgeAmely

Dennis:

I can feel the breeze all the way here.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Doug Rose

Larry....Dennis is right, you can get some really nice fans fairly cheap. I had this beautiful bakelite GE fan that I couldn't give away last year. It don't even remember what happened to it, it must have gone in our yard sale of stuff that I couldn't unload on eBay....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3325.0
Kidphone

Dan

Thanks for the photos Dennis. I think the GE's look like the ones I will pursue.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

I saw this fan in a museum in Kilby, BC, Canada while on vacation.  I thought of youse fan folks and got a picture.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Greg, that look very much like one that I have.  I believe the Eskimo brand was made in Canada.  I posted a couple photos of mine back in 2009.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1239.60

Dan

I am seeing those eskimos a lot myself as I figure out which one I an going to get.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

I think that the fans which have blades which were stamped from a single sheet of thin metal are the cheap ones and are not considered so collectable.  Also, they will tend to give more trouble.  The "Eskimo" brand name was one of many names used by the Bersted Mfg Co which made low quality, cheap "drug store" appliances.  I have read some very uncomplimentary things about them.  I would suggest looking at the more reliable brands like Westinghouse, Emerson, etc..

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I found a circa 1947 GE Vortalex in somewhat rough shape yesterday at the flea market for $20.  It had obviously been dropped at some point because the cage was bent, there was a small gash in one of the blades, and the blades were unbalanced, so the fan shook from side to side when running.  I did alot of cleaning, bending, and replacing the past two days, and the fan is now working.  Here is a picture of it with its younger sibling (1949).

Larry