News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ebay global shipping program.

Started by sebbel, November 29, 2013, 12:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

I'm just wondering if a lot of  US members who sell ebay are taking "advantage" of the global shipping program?

I say "advantage" because the program is actually a huge pain in the behind for us Canadian buyers.  Canada post almost never charge import duty on small orders and inexpensive items.  The program garantees they will because they do so for every courrier package as opposed to regular mail.  Also packages get sent to a ebay warehouse before being redirected to Canada. Which delays arrival by a few days and then I'm provided with a strange set or tracking number that really only work up to the point where the package reaches the ebay warehouse.

In other words all I get from that program is more expensive, slower shipping with confusing tracking...

I now avoid buying anything shipping with that program.  Have other Canadians had similar expriences or am I just grumpy?

Seb.
Seb.

WesternElectricBen

Sebbel,

I have used this global shipping before, and I don't like it. I shipped a phone out to a Canadian friend and the shipping to a couple miles north of the MN border was 25.00 or 30.00 dollars, for a phone that regularly ships for 12.00.\

Ben

tallguy58

I don't even deal with people that have that displayed in their listings.

That's how much I hate that obvious cash grab.

As far as I'm concerned it's just a way to exclude a good portion of your potential buyers.

>:( >:(
Cheers........Bill

Contempra

I've never bought something from USA and on EBay I pay cash that's why I just buy in Canada..

twocvbloke

I haven't heard of this service myself, but it seems to be getting less-than-positive feedback (pardon the pun), does make me wonder how much a difference in cost it'd be for things like phone from the US compared with USPS or UPS, but I'm in no rush to find out at the moment... :D

TelePlay

This is not news to many who are on this forum but it is offered as a comparison to the eBay global shipping service. I recently shipped a package from the US to Canada using the USPS international shipping service found on their web site. Postage rates were higher than a domestic shipment as expected but as for paperwork, it was completed on-line on my end, paid shipping labels and custom forms printed at home, box with forms had to be delivered to any post office for shipment, the package went directly from US postal to Canadian postal at the border and the package arrived at its destination in about 10 days total. That seems like a lot less hassle that what you described in the eBay global shipping cash grab which I have never used.

LarryInMichigan

I haven't tried using the service, but I think that the main selling point is that the seller does not have pay feebay 10% of the high international shipping cost.  Most sellers do not want to sell a $20 item to a buyer in Australia and have to pay feebay a $5 fee for the shipping charge. 

I am interested to hear what buyers outside of the USA have to say about the service so I can decide whether or not to consider it in the future. 

Larry

Doug Rose

I had my first exposure to eBay Global shipping and it is a cluster f*ck! I had two GPO dials in separate auctions (29.95 each auction) that I sold to a collector in Australia. I could fit them in a Small Priority flat box to Oz and quoted him that price of $23.95 shipping. eBay would not let Janet invoice him or combine shipping. They wanted me to send it to Kentucky for the $6 each shipping, could not combine and they quoted the buyer $45.25 for each auction for a total of $150.48, plus $12 shipping from me to Kentucky! This collector would have had to spend $162.48 for two dials when I could have got them there for $83.95 shipping and auction. Basically double!

I guess I am a US only Buyer and seller.

This is totally unfair to the Buyer and Seller alike. eBay is going to far with this. Greed! ...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 24, 2014, 04:39:29 PM
I had my first exposure to eBay Global shipping and it is a cluster f*ck! I had two GPO dials in separate auctions (29.95 each auction) that I sold to a collector in Australia. I could fit them in a Small Priority flat box to Oz and quoted him that price of $23.95 shipping. eBay would not let Janet invoice him or combine shipping. They wanted me to send it to Kentucky for the $6 each shipping, could not combine and they quoted the buyer $45.25 for each auction for a total of $150.48, plus $12 shipping from me to Kentucky! This collector would have had to spend $162.48 for two dials when I could have got them there for $83.95 shipping and auction. Basically double!

I guess I am a US only Buyer and seller.

This is totally unfair to the Buyer and Seller alike. eBay is going to far with this. Greed! ...Doug

I would cancel the sale and arrange with the buyer to sell them to him outside of ebay.

Larry

Contempra

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 24, 2014, 04:46:19 PM

I would cancel the sale and arrange with the buyer to sell them to him outside of ebay.

Larry

That's what I do myself on EBay when I buy something with a seller... Ebay says its illegal but I don't care... I recently bought a telephone and I passed outside of eBay. I talk with the seller in private and I had no problem.

Doug Rose

Larry...not that easy. eBay blocks any messages with an email address and you get a sanction if your try...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

At least when you make a payment with paypal, the payee's email address is shown in your paypal account records. Same when you receive a payment. How long before they block that info?

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David....it never got that far as he asked me to refund the difference and I was not getting it, eBay was.
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

It isn't very difficult to sneak an email address through ebay's censors.  Try something like this:

myname
at
mydomain
dot
com

Just don't tell ebay about this method.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry....they nailed me with it and I got a warning next time we would be suspended for 30 days. Not worth it.
Kidphone