151AL & 51L CS to anti-sidetone subset wiring help needed

Started by xtal_01, March 26, 2023, 12:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtal_01

I recently got a 151AL

I was told it was "straight wired" so it would work without a subset

I have a 634 subset coming so I want to wire it correctly

I took off all the wires ...

I was getting some strange readings on my meter.

I took apart the phone .. sure enough the transmitter wired was on the "Y" terminal of the hook switch (the yellow wire).

Just wanted to make sure my phone was wired wrong and the diagram was correct.

Thanks!

MMikeJBenN27

Good that you want it correct.  These people who hot-wire it and claim that a subset isn't really necessary remind of a used car salesman telling prospects that tires aren't really necessary, you can drive it on the rims.

Mike

Contempra

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on March 26, 2023, 01:31:56 AMGood that you want it correct.  These people who hot-wire it and claim that a subset isn't really necessary remind of a used car salesman telling prospects that tires aren't really necessary, you can drive it on the rims.

Mike

You're right Mike , no doubt .

countryman

I was about going to ask what a 61B filter (as shown in the diagram) is, but the answer is already there: A filter to prevent interference in AM radios
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6192.0
In European phones I have seen a 0.1 µF capacitor being used, or a 100 Ohm resistor combined with the 1 µF ringer capacitor, presumably for the same purpose.

xtal_01

I must be loosing it ...

I have two wiring diagrams ... both from the library ... both say how to wire a 151 ... they look similar but they have some differences!

In the one, the wire from the Y terminal is Yellow and goes to the L2 Y terminal in the subset.

In the other diagram, the Yellow wires goes to the Black if a filter is used and the note says "if a filter is not provided connect the yellow lead from the hook switch to the Y of the dial"

Totally different way of wiring ... which is right ??????

On top this ... and this might just be me ... I can't find a wring diagram for a simple 302A (I assume that would be closest to this phone) ... found AW ... e, d, f, G ... a 302 with a 5302 dial .. all kinds of thins I don't want  .... just want a simple 302, two wire, 2AA or 4H or 5H dial ... just something I can trace the wires on so I can wire this 151 the same or at least figure out which diagram is correct.

Thanks ... Mike

xtal_01

I put this in the candlestick area but no advice yet so I thought I would try here ... and really is is much more of a technical issue.

Background .. got a 151AL ... it was "straight wired" ... trying to rewire it so it works with a 634 subset.

Took off all the wires.  Found a "mistake" according to the two wiring diagrams I had.  The doubled yellow wire from my transmitter went to the yellow (Y) terminal on the hook switch rather than the R (or YY) terminal as noted in both wiring diagrams.

OK .. corrected this ... but now the fun begins ...

I have two wiring diagrams ... both from the library ... both say how to wire a 151 ... they look similar but they have some differences!

In the one, the wire from the Y terminal is Yellow and goes to the L2 Y terminal in the subset.

In the other diagram, the Yellow wires goes to the Black if a filter is used and the note says "if a filter is not provided connect the yellow lead from the hook switch to the Y of the dial"

On top this ... and this might just be me ... I can't find a wring diagram for a simple 302A (I assume that would be closest to this phone) ... found AW ... e, d, f, G ... a 302 with a 5302 dial .. all kinds of thins I don't want  .... just want a simple 302, two wire, 2AA or 4H or 5H dial ... just something I can trace the wires on so I can wire this 151 the same or at least figure out which diagram is correct.

Just not at all sure how to wire this phone!!!!!

Thanks ... Mike

loblolly986

For what it's worth, here's a BSP with illustrations of the base cording/wiring for the 151AL and related models in both manual (no dial) and dial configurations: https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=c32+461+i1

Per the cording illustration, a manual 151AL set has W-BB and Y-BK terminals on the dial blank, while a dial set instead has Y, BK, BB, and W on the dial.

The redrawn/simplified diagram posted at http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8465.0 for dial-equipped 151AL sets without a filter (also sourced from the T.C.I. library) is better than the one in the PDF you attached, but note its own error: there is no Y-BK terminal in a dial set; the desk stand cord's black wire goes straight to BK on the dial.

The original diagram covers both manual and dial configurations. The solid lines show the connections in a manual set; where a solid line splits into solid or dashed paths, you are supposed to follow the dashed one when a dial is present. If a filter is not present, you ignore that part of the diagram and follow the note.

poplar1

The yellow wire from the subset goes to B-Y. This terminal is on the small terminal block that also has an unused RR terminal.

The double yellow wire from the transmitter goes to R on the hookswitch. The other transmitter wire is the black wire in the 5-wire switch cord ("harness"), which goes to BK on the dial.

The most common 302 is the 302G, which has a 3-conductor mounting cord (line cord). 302C is an earlier version with a 2-conductor mtg. cord for use on individual lines where the ringing circuit is bridged to L1 and L2. Either is correct, but I don't know that it will help with the internal wiring of the 151AL.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

xtal_01

This was just sent to me on another forum.

It seems to make sense.

It is marked C45.105 Jun 1931

It does show the Blue wire from the B terminal on the hook switch going to the BY terminal on the newly added board ... then it changes to Yellow.

This is different than the ones in the Library.

It shows the terminal PR not used ... and funny, on my phone there is no screw in that terminal.

I think this new diagram is the "correct" one ... but maybe all of them will work.

I will wire the phone this way ... the subset should be in this week ... then I can try it.

Thanks!

poplar1

Quote from: xtal_01 on March 26, 2023, 01:51:50 PMIt does show the Blue wire from the B terminal on the hook switch going to the BY terminal on the newly added board ... then it changes to Yellow.

This is different than the ones in the Library.

Did you check the diagram referenced by loblolly966? It is also from TCI library.
I don't see what you mean about the blue wire being different in either that diagram, or the one you originally posted. In both of these, as well as the third one you just posted, the blue [harness] wire goes from B on hookswitch to the B-Y terminal, where the yellow wire from the subset also connects.

Also, "PR" is a misprint in your latest diagram. It should be "RR" (Double Red).

poplar1

Quote from: xtal_01 on March 26, 2023, 11:31:51 AMIn the other diagram, the Yellow wires goes to the Black if a filter is used and the note says "if a filter is not provided connect the yellow lead from the hook switch to the Y of the dial"

Please provide a link to, or copy of, this diagram. It doesn't sound right.

EDIT:
I did find this one in the TCI Libary.  It incorrectly shows the yellow wire from the subset going to Y on the hookswitch. It leaves out the Y-B terminal in the base, and the blue wire going from said terminal to B on the hookswitch.

xtal_01

Here is the drawing I was given from the TCI library TCI 151AL wirng

You can see the Yellow wire does not go to dial but exits to L2

I did follow the other diagrams ... went like a breeze!

Phone is wired and ready for the subset (was just given the tracking number so should be here later this week).

Super excited to give it a try !!!!!!!!!

I used the original cord that was cloth covered 4 wire, to go to the subset.

Thanks so much for all the help and advice !!!!!!!!!!

loblolly986

Quote from: xtal_01 on March 26, 2023, 01:51:50 PMThis was just sent to me on another forum.

It seems to make sense.

It is marked C45.105 Jun 1931

[...]

I think this new diagram is the "correct" one ...
It is. (It's actually from section C45.102, the entirety of which is available here; your copy of the diagram was digitally touched-up for readability. Just what I really wanted to find in the library earlier, but it wasn't where I was looking...)

Jack Aman

xtal_01  Maybe you could post a brief summation of just what went where to make a working system.  I too have a hotwired candlestick and a 302 base I'm going to dig into right after Christmas is over!  Enjoy your holidays!

poplar1

Quote from: Jack Aman on December 24, 2023, 01:48:12 PMI too have a hotwired candlestick and a 302 base.

Sidetone (such as 50AL, 51AL, 20AL) or antisidetone (151AL, for example)?