News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stupid question

Started by Steve, January 21, 2009, 10:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

My daughter is in her 20's, and has her own place. she only had voip. I have an old frankenphone in black, a nice 500 but it's rotary. ( she hates rotary)

can I add a round dial with the touch tone pad like the converted standard 554's? will it work with a 500 desk set?

next question is, where can I find just the dial assy ?

dial is like this..

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

benhutcherson

Cortelco still makes telephones with that style keypad, so presumably there are some out there. I'm not sure if you can buy it separately from Cortelco, but you may be able to.

The 2500s use the same basic components as 500s, however the wiring is somewhat different. My one 2500 has a terminal strip under the keypad to support some additional connections-I'm not sure if there are any components on the strip, or if it's just a terminal strip.

The easy answer might be to buy a brand new one from Cortelco. I'm not sure how much they run, but it might not be much different from buying a dial separately.

phoneguy06

Hi Steve,

To add to what Ben said, the phone you have in the picture there is the 3554, which Cortelco does indeed still produce, just Google "Cortelco 3554" and you'll get many different links to sites that sell it. Just don't confuse it with the 2554, which is the mini wall phone with the single-gong ringer. Hope this helps!

JimH

If I understand your question right, you want a 500 table phone with a touch-tone keypad, not a wall phone, right? 
Jim H.

Perry

I have seen something like that, with a touch-tone pad in what looks like a regular 500 housing:
http://www.oldphoneworks.com/2500-round-mount-orange.html
I'm not sure if there is a way to retrofit a 500 to make one of these, though.

Steve

I think I'm just going to give her the 500 as is, and not convert it. the 554's dont look so bad with the conversion, the 500's you guys posted made me rethink the idea. thats just a little too ugly. :(
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

Steve;
Play on your daughters sympathies.
Tell her to please reconsider a dial 500, as the touch tone goes against the very fabric of your being, and it would do you great honor if she would accept a dial 500.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Just pick up a nice looking TT Trimline®. I love those Trimline phones. Very handy, and retro now as the early ones are 40+ years old. Or, if a 500 series style is a must. Get an early 2500 series set in red. Problem solved.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Perry

Quote from: Steve on January 29, 2009, 11:58:58 AM

I think I'm just going to give her the 500 as is, and not convert it. the 554's dont look so bad with the conversion, the 500's you guys posted made me rethink the idea. thats just a little too ugly. :(

I sort of like that "round mount" 2500 (for a touch-tone phone), and might have bought one if I could have found an aqua or turquoise version. I've never really liked the squared-off styling of the standard 2500 compared to the more rounded 500.

Konrad

Make sure her VOIP router supports Pulse (Rotary) dialing.  Many do not including most of the Linksys Vonage Routers.  The Vonage V-Portal and Comcast Arris TM502G VOID Router work just fine.