News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric D1 Gold Imperial phone finish question

Started by brenthyatt, September 01, 2016, 06:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenthyatt

Were these phone plated or painted? I have never seen paint that looks that metallic. Thanks.

unbeldi

Quote from: brenthyatt on September 01, 2016, 06:03:47 PM
Were these phone plated or painted? I have never seen paint that looks that metallic. Thanks.

They were rhodium plated as base, and then finished with a gold lacquer.
No doubt the lacquer was a suspension with real gold.

Kenton K

Would a clear yellow finish achieve the same gold result? The lacquer just needs to change the color.

-Ken

unbeldi

Quote from: Kenton K on September 01, 2016, 07:05:10 PM
Would a clear yellow finish achieve the same gold result? The lacquer just needs to change the color.

-Ken

The color really is not yellow. It is metallic gold.

Babybearjs

can they be replated? I have in that has use wear and just courious about the restoration process?
John

rdelius

You can replate sets. At COT we first used brass but then switched to gold.The original finish on the sets appears to have been sprayed on  or a conductive spray finish and then plated.Sometimes lacquer thinner removes the gold and the set is now silver.The set can only look as good as the preparation to polish for plating

JimH

Quote from: Babybearjs on September 14, 2016, 01:37:25 PM
can they be replated? I have in that has use wear and just courious about the restoration process?

I had a metal 302 (my avatar) gold plated to simulate a gold "imperial" 302, some which were apparently made only for presentation phones.  I sent it to New England Chrome Plating, of East Hartford, CT.  They are very nice people.  I got it back with a small rough spot on it, and they had me send it back to them and they smoothed it out and re-plated the metal body for me again, at no extra cost.  The surface is flawless, and I didn't have to strip the paint first, or anything.  I believe it was about $85, but that was about five years ago.
Jim H.

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on September 14, 2016, 01:37:25 PM

They were originally NOT plated.  The plating found in some sales today is a later embellishment by after-market sellers.

unbeldi

I had one example of these (shown) on which the lacquer was crazed to an amazingly high degree.  I don't know how common this was.  I now actually wish I had kept the set.  It certainly looked unique with its extra effect on light. Glitter phone.

Under higher magnification this is visible in the photo.