News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

french CGTT "candlestick"

Started by Etienne, May 10, 2023, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etienne

It came home today. Never seen that model before.
On the base: CGTT, Compagnie Générale de Télégraphie et de Téléphonie, a french phone maker which got a license (1927) to build Siemens stuff, before it became (1935, if I remember well) Siemens' subsidiary in France.
I am a bit disappointed, the phone has been almost entirely gutted: impossible to set a precise date.
The dial is only optically nice-looking, but lost its springs & other stuff. It is a quite rare dial...
The switch, though, is intact.
The ringer is unusual, the bell is not hit on the side but downwards.
Base is made of brass.
Cradle is made out of 2 riveted parts, like early PTT 1924.
The stick's top has been butchered and most probably should end will a nickel-plated ball. This should not be too difficult to find (drawer handle).
The base is cast-iron with a (completely dry) rubber ring. First time I see that on such an old phone.
It came with  a more modern Société des Téléphones Ericsson bakelite handset. As far as I know, CGTT produced standard type 1910 handsets so one like that could do it.

HarrySmith

Nice. Quite a shame it was gutted but once you add the correct handset and the finial it will be a good display model.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

Another French phone I have never seen before... nor did I know about the Siemens partnership. In fact the arrangement of the numbers is like on German dials. Might internal parts fit in as areplacement? Pics of the dial back side would be interesting.

FABphones

It is a nice dial. Would you add photos of the internals and rear of dial so we can see what is left, also a photo of the handset it came with.

I have seen this model before, if I can find an image I will add it to this thread.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Etienne

Thank you for the replies.
True: the very same phone, dial included, is here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24521.msg243375#msg243375
The handset on Wurzel1765 one's does not seem original, though. Looks like a SIT wallphone one. Anyway, no ball on top of the perch! I tend to think that was butchered to convert the phone to a lamp, then, someone might have tried to save the phone. The screw which tops the perch comes from an Ericsson-Colombes handset (cord holder).
Quote from Jack Ryan in he same thread:
"The second from the left is a Relay Automatic office telephone and may have been connected to a PAX rather than the public exchange. I think ATEA distributed Relay Automatic around 1920." Also called "RAT phone", british company presented by FABphones here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24832.msg245780#msg245780

Well, in my case, the CGTT logo is clearly printed on it. But ATEA was belgian, so CGTT could be the distributor in France.
(found it while looking for mercedes dial assembly)
Here are pictures of the dial.
Nothing is left from the innards except the governor. What holds the fingerwheel in place is the finger stop...
The dial is close to the mercedes design, but different. Even the way it is attached to the phone differs.
the metal part that holds the faceplate contains the spring.

...Sorry,I forgot to make a picture of the handset. It is the type one sees on Ericsson-Colombes Baby phones.