"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1954 Ivory 500 set

Started by rotary63, October 15, 2014, 01:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rotary63

Hello,
I am new to the forum.  I have communicated with Dennis before about phones, but first time on forum.
A friend of mine told me about this phone, I jumped at the opportunity to get it.  It came in very good condition with just one small crack in the case, that is hard to see.  It has a straight matching color handset cord. All the dates match. Curiously it has a black line cord with a matching date, so I assume it is original to the phone also.  Did they have matching colored line cords for Ivory in '54?  Not sure maybe someone can answer this question.  Anyway here are the pics.
S.D. Hudson

rotary63

Hello,
I am new to the forum.  I have communicated with Dennis before about phones, but first time on forum.
A friend of mine told me about this phone, I jumped at the opportunity to get it.  It came in very good condition with just one small crack in the case, that is hard to see.  It has a straight matching color handset cord. All the dates match. Curiously it has a black line cord with a matching date, so I assume it is original to the phone also.  Did they have matching colored line cords for Ivory in '54?  Not sure maybe someone can answer this question.  Anyway here are the pics.
S.D. Hudson

poplar1

Ivory and Brown 500s always had matching cords.  Since the cord appears to be longer than the standard 5 1/2 foot ivory line cord installed at the factory, it's possible that the installer had only black long cords on his truck the day he installed this 500.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Welcome,

That is a nice and early colored set you have. I agree with poplar1, it was probably installed after the renter wanted to move around the phone.

Ben

rotary63

I hadn't thought of that.  Probably right.  At any rate, I am going to leave the black cord since it is original to the phone.  I did change the four prong to a black one though. 
I am going to use the one that came with it on a rose beige one I have.  Worked out well.
S.D. Hudson

unbeldi

Quote from: rotary63 on October 15, 2014, 02:29:50 PM
I hadn't thought of that.  Probably right.  At any rate, I am going to leave the black cord since it is original to the phone.  I did change the four prong to a black one though. 
I am going to use the one that came with it on a rose beige one I have.  Worked out well.
A black plug may look nicer, but black 283B plugs were not available in the 1950s.  Only ivory and brown.

rotary63

Yeah, especially the round black four prong I'm using.
S.D. Hudson