News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone wiring, wisdom,and, identification help needed

Started by RB, October 16, 2017, 12:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I have, I believe, an AE black 3 slot payphone.
The only id I can make, is AE on the side of the Rec.
It has a new grey 4 wire modular cord on it, so I don't know what the original looked like.
Anyway, I do not get dial tone when hooked to my CB cord set, just a slight buzz.
I need to know first, if it is complete, and how to connect it so It works as close to original as possible.
I see I forgot the pic of the network, will get soon.
It looks like there may be some stuff missing from the lower chute too?? maybe supposed to be that way, don't know.
excited about getting this thing working, any help, will help. Thank you.

trainman

Its Western Electric. Like it says, most likely a 233g faintly stamped.

Now, these are all coin first. You had to deposit a coin to get dial tone. There would have been 4 wires going to the coin relay. Two for the coil, and two for the Hopper Trigger. When you dropped the coin, it tripped the HT on the coin relay, closing one set of contacts, giving you dial tone. Offhand, i dont know where those terminals arex since the relay is gone. Find a 233g schematic and jump the HT terminals. If all else is ok, you should have dial tone.

mentalstampede

That's a Western Electric 236G, not an AE. The handset appears to be AE however.

These were one of the few WE phones to include the network and ringer inside and not require a separate subset. As such, they're a somewhat uncommon and desirable phone.  The upper housing looks to be complete as far as I can tell. The Network is mounted behind the coin chute. In the bottom half, someone has removed the coin control parts. Your pictures don't show the area, but are the ringer components still present on the upper area of the backboard above the switchhook?

Anyway, I've attached a wiring diagram. Hope it helps.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

RB

Thanks Trainman, and Metalstampede! I think there is a ringer albeit, a small one on the top
You mentioned coin control parts? functional without them? or jacked up?

poplar1

The line connects as follows:
Green to R
Red to Y

The 15-pin plug from the upper housing plugs into the socket on the lower housing.

Your coin relay is missing, but it isn't needed to draw dial tone on standard lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

trainman

Its not jacked up. Just need to run a wire to make up for the te removed coin relay i cant read the print when i enlarge it, but you see the HT contacts are in series with a resistor and the coin relay coil. Just connect it so there is a continous circuit path there.

trainman

Yes it is needed. On a prepay phone you dont get dialtone until the hopper trigger contact is tripped. So, you need to bridge that.

poplar1

Quote from: trainman on October 16, 2017, 05:09:38 PM
Yes it is needed. On a prepay phone you dont get dialtone until the hopper trigger contact is tripped. So, you need to bridge that.

That was true on the original Western Electric coin first (CF) sets only. Those coin phones had ground start lines. Ground start lines are no longer tariffed.

trainman

I guess. I forgot I have Stans Coin Controller on mine, so that one wont get dial tone unless the HT is tripped.

poplar1

You can use the diagram for a D-180574 Coin Decorator Telephone Set. This is a 236G without a coin relay. Once you get your phone working, you may want to go back later and add the coin signal transmitter and electromagnet to the circuit, and purchase a coin relay. But these aren't needed just to use the phone as an extension (coinless).

For D-180574 diagram: See BSP 503-200-113. Available at TCI library.
Telephonecollectors.info

RB

Thanks guys! are these coil relay parts still available? or from collectors only? where would I look for them?
and are they whats missing from the lower half of the chute? or located in the top part? ???

trainman

A three slot relay and hopper are hard, but not impossible to come by. Yours is mising the flapper that hold the coin from falling into the cash box until the cpin relay trips.

A modern single slot hopper might give you the parts you need. I say might because there were two types of springs. Round wire or flat wire. And they might not be interchangeable. And a three slot relay has a different shape of plastic trip arm.  A single slot relay only has two terminals. A three slot has 4.

They always removed the relay and flapper/springs so coin would fall to the cash box for home use. You dobt need to put the parts back, unless you want to get Stans Payphone Coin Controller.

RB

OK, so to restore it, may take time/effort. but it will function as a regular phone without the relay and assoc parts?
I suppose I still need to install the HT jumper, if not already in place. then it shud get tone, and be ready to use when you pick up the rec?
of course, I do not have a pots line, or derivative right now. so it will just talk through the switchboard to other CB phones.
that is, until I figure a way for all my phones to talk to each other. ;)
I believe I will need the ground line working also? it seems like that's needed for the handset to work, lookin at the schematic anyway?
is that correct? if so, I will need a way to support it, as I only have T and R to work with currently.

There is a relay at the top, with an arm, which blocks the coin path...what is that for? i don't see it on the schematic.

trainman

i dont need the relay for it to work as a regular phone. and you dont need to do anything to take the place of the coin  relay. the ground line start is not supported anymore.   hooking up to T and R should get it to work.

the relay with the arm is the nickel stop. i forget exactly how it worked.

the BSP referenced shows what the did to turn these  payphones into Decorator Sets, the ones they sold to cutomers for home use. the schematics in here reflect your set better, because you have the plug in connector.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps/by-division-number/doc_details/11459-503-200-113-i2-oct77-d-180574-coin-decorator-set-ocr-r

RB

Yeah, sure does. using a combination of both shud get me goin.
there are some parts still in there not on the schematic...It almost seems like someone rescued this one before the creature could finish his work. lol.
Thanks Trainman!!! I will update post when I get it cleaned up, and functioning. :)