News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Christmas Scumbags

Started by Tech12, December 23, 2012, 06:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tech12

Well People, it's Christmas again & the Scumbags are crawling out of the woodwork again. In the last week i've had about 10 emails telling me i've won money, god knows how many supposedly from my bank & asking me to update my account details or my accounts will be frozen. Just had another cracker supposedly from Shell international prize draw centre, telling me i've won Half a Million & asking for all my Details so they can pay it into my account. Yeah right they think people are as thick as they are, shows how thick these people are: I checked the senders email address & it's a private Gmail account.
Look out for anything that looks too good to be true, it allways is ;D

Merry Christmas: Andy @ Retrotech
Not Everything is Repairable but we try our best.

twocvbloke

Yeah, scams like that these days are easy to spot by most internet users, but there are still people out there who are, shall we say, "internet virgins", who can't tell you the difference between a hyperlink and a torrent, and it's those people who get suckered into the scams unfortunately... :-\

old_stuff_hound

My understanding is that these scams are intentionally easy to spot so that only "the most easily exploited" (to put it politely) will fall for them. I'd like to "exploit" the people pulling these scams! ;-)

Greg G.

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on December 23, 2012, 10:37:05 PM
My understanding is that these scams are intentionally easy to spot so that only "the most easily exploited" (to put it politely) will fall for them. I'd like to "exploit" the people pulling these scams! ;-)

Here's an article about that:  http://gizmodo.com/5919818/why-nigerian-scammers-say-theyre-from-nigeria
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Tech12

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on December 23, 2012, 10:37:05 PM

I'm with you on that they're total scum, don't know about intentionally easy to spot ?
The Shell 1 gives Shell UK's address.
Had 1 about a month ago, supposedly from a Soliciitor in the UK. Another where i'd apparently been left money by a relative that passed away, this 1 was complete with the Solicitors address, email & phone number. When I checked the originating email address it was in Poland, I spoke to the Solicitors & asked if they knew that their name was being used in this scam. Answer being yes, in 3 days they'd had over 100 calls all from people expecting to come into money. According to the lady I spoke to some of the callers were pretty abusive when told they had'nt been left any money.

Andy

gpo706

You just need to ignore the wankers Tech
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Tech12

Hi gpo: I know mate it's just P*****G me off, i'm getting more scumbags than Legit emails at the moment.

Andy