News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally, a Clear Phone!

Started by HarrySmith, October 14, 2011, 09:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just received my first Clear Phone! Put in the first bid and forgot about bit ended up winning it. Not a 302 or 500 but still a Clear one! Not sure of the manufacturer yet as I have not opened it. I plan on taking one of the beat up WE 2500's in my parts pile and putting this shell on it for display. Anyone got one of those clear coiled handset cords for it?

http://tinyurl.com/5uqtb7b
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

I wondered about putting one of these shells onto  "real phone". Let us know if you run into any unexpected problems. No clear coil cords here Harry.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 14, 2011, 09:12:29 PM
Just received my first Clear Phone! Put in the first bid and forgot about bit ended up winning it. Not a 302 or 500 but still a Clear one! Not sure of the manufacturer yet as I have not opened it. I plan on taking one of the beat up WE 2500's in my parts pile and putting this shell on it for display. Anyone got one of those clear coiled handset cords for it?

Great buy, Harry! Wow!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Kenny C

I bet you that it's a cortelo. I got mine for 5 bucks. Great buy. I'm also in the market for a clear hs cord
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

GG

Back in the 80s we had a supplier for clear housing kits, with which to convert stock ITT 2500 sets into clear ones.  These we gave one of to any client who installed a new PBX.  They were typically made up with black handset cords and ordinary clear or silver-gray line cords. 

There had to have been plenty of other small companies out there buying these kits and redoing 2500 sets.  The housings and handsets had no brand markings on them. 

I think I've got one around that I could put on a new 2500 from stock; might get around to that one of these days.  (I've also got a clear GPO 706 that was actually the Centrel AEP version made in Portugal, with the ringer volume control slider underneath.)   (I wonder how these would look with a ringing LED and line in use LED installed in them?)

Doug Rose

I have two new clear 25' handset cords, two different styles. Make an offer or a trade. ....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I guess these plastics will fit on a WE base:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220879297190
Much discussion on the lists over this as it is being represented as a clear WE 2500. Many members sent messages to the seller who did not change the listing, stating we are not phone experts, if something has a name on it we assume that is in fact what it is.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

I'm not on the lists any more Harry. SO it was determined that the case was a Cortelco or something similar?

Terry

GG

If the clear housing and handset shell have a manufacturer's name on them, that's a rare promotional example. 

If they have blank spaces where you would expect to find manufacturer's name, that's probably one of the same or similar clear phone housing kits we used to use back in the day.  IMHO these are perfectly acceptable, and certainly have the same aesthetic qualities as one with manufacturer's name moulded into the plastics.

The above pertains to USA-manufactured 2500s.  For other types and overseas manufacturers, anything is possible. 

HarrySmith

Yes, it was surmised to be Cortelco or something like that as there were no markings on it anywhere except a number inside, same as mine. I am currently cleaning a 1972 WE 2500 base to put my plastics on. The issue was not if it was an acceptable phone, the issue was it was listed as a clear Western Electric phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

OK, I got my clear plastics installed with the WE parts, fits fine. I also got a clear cord. It looks good! It may be a franenphone or a fake or whatever you want to call it but it looks good on display and it only cost me about $20.00 total with the new cord, donor phone & shipping. I have attached a couple of pictures and haave more here: https://picasaweb.google.com/103483280648956762530/Clear2500NotForSale
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Willytx

DavePEI

My 2600 DMG made with Cortelco plastics and WE innards.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

McHeath

Really like the clean clear new plastics.