News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got lucky on eBay Yesterday

Started by Doug Rose, March 16, 2018, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I just looked and there it was. Couldn't have been on long but I can never find out on BINs. I will have it tomorrow.....Doug

Kidphone

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

ICAMBI, supporting information posted below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Western-Electric-Desk-Phones-/323145153964

Jester

Stephen

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AL_as_needed

Doug, Im having a hard time seeing how your "luck" works. For you (and BellSystemChristian), its more like  "another day of being awesome"  ;D

Nice find! Cant wait to see more when the package arrives.
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

Dear GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

If I had wanted this information posted, I would have done it. I know we are under your censorship, but I am totaly verclemt why you would post something that is quite frankly is none of your business or anyone's unless I post it.

This is becoming the Wizard of Oz. You are one of us, not better than us. I take exception to you posting this.

what the heck. 
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I thought it was common practice to add such information so anyone looking at the post down the line, maybe years from now, could see particulars about the auction. I see that being done regularly, sometimes by moderators, sometimes by other members.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

david@london

..... that's absolutely right, Harry.
i must say that i think John - Teleplay - does an excellent job as moderator.....at no little inconvenience to himself..........thanks, John!

Doug Rose

My reasoning is I don't want someone emailing the seller that he sold a rare phone for a low price before I actually receive the phone.  I was just posting pictures of my lucky find. I thought I would be the one to decide when it went public.  I was excited! My bad.

Messages starting out with GLOBAL MODERATOR POST I find strange.  I thought all posts from members were important.

Again, my apologies.
Kidphone

kleenax

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 17, 2018, 08:45:26 AM
My reasoning is I don't want someone emailing the seller that he sold a rare phone for a low price before I actually receive the phone.  I was just posting pictures of my lucky find. I thought I would be the one to decide when it went public.  I was excited! My bad.

Messages starting out with GLOBAL MODERATOR POST I find strange.  I thought all posts from members were important.

Again, my apologies.

Hehe;

Doug, I'm VERY excited to see John's Moderator post: it shows us just how "lucky" you were!  :-)  Keep up the good work John!

And yes, I too HAVE had the unfortunate scenario of having a B-I-N (buy it now) seller finding out that he'd sold me a "RARE" phone (before shipping it) for a seemingly ridiculously low price (although he STILL made a tidy profit) and try to back out of the deal; that sucks!
Mine was over 10 yrs ago, and I had to get eBay's legal team involved to get the phone (a VERY nice #10 WE candlestick for $300 that he (the seller) had purchased at an auction for $55.00   :)....
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 16, 2018, 07:10:49 PM
Dear GLOBAL MODERATOR POST
If I had wanted this information posted, I would have done it. I know we are under your censorship, but I am totaly verclemt why you would post something that is quite frankly is none of your business or anyone's unless I post it.
This is becoming the Wizard of Oz. You are one of us, not better than us. I take exception to you posting this.
wth. 

Doug, it has been standard practice on the Forum to post links to an eBay listing where the original poster failed to do so.  The Moderator(s) have no idea if the omission was done intentionally or inadvertently.  Your post was not censored.  Your original text was not changed.  There was an addition made by putting the eBay listing there for posterity. 

My suggestion to anyone would be to not make the post until you have the item in your hand (if you're concerned that the seller may change his mind).  If it's on the World Wide Web it's everyone's business.

I don't think John was trying to be better than anyone.  He has done an outstanding job of keeping things on the even keel around here with no remuneration.   When John starts a post with GLOBAL MODERATOR POST he is wearing his "Moderator" hat, not his "regular guy/member" hat.

~Dennis

Doug Rose

Dennis...it was my bad for posting the pics before I got it. I never thought the auction would be posted before I received the phone or I would not have posted the pics. I always post the auction for deals I have found, I was just waiting until I received the phones.

Ray had the same issue.  I was also trying avoid it as I had in the past as well, a seller trying to back out when actual value was found.

I have learned my lesson.
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Two 500 sets came in a Large Priority Flat box. I cringed! Opened up.... the green was  first. Perfect newer 500 set. Nice

I opened the Grey and was like a kid at Christmas. NO Chips cracks or missing pieces. All dates Match 2 55, except the dial is 12 54. I cannot get the receiver out, not going to strss about it. Handset cord looks like it sat on a radiator, needs to be replaced. But the phone DOES work. It doesn't ring as there is no ringer. I would think a 2 55 ringer should not be a hassle.

Color is consistent with no fading. Handset grip might need a quick buff. .....Doug
Kidphone