News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spring Is Here

Started by 19and41, April 04, 2015, 06:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktownphoneco

Dave ....    Since you seem to be on top of the issue of Lobster season, can I place an order ?      ;D

Jeff

DavePEI

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on April 23, 2015, 05:31:35 PM
Dave ....    Since you seem to be on top of the issue of Lobster season, can I place an order ?      ;D

Jeff
Heck, Jeff - we can't even afford an order :-)

Funny story, shortly after we got married Linda and I visited an aunt. She invited us to stay for supper. Apologizing, she told us they were only going to have lobster and scallops from their freezer. She wished she had had a roast! Quickly we said, Perfect! Needless to say, they were fishermen. When I was young, it was considered a welfare food.

Also, lobster used to be so plentiful here that farmers used to take a wagon down to the shore, use pitchforks to scoop lobsters from the point, and then spead them on their land to use as fertilizer. This would be about 70 years ago. The shores were crawling with them then.

One of our cats loved Lobsters so much we had to develop a code name whenever we brought them into our house, "Buggies", otherwise, she would go nuts when she heard the word! She eventually caught on, so it was all to no avail.

Then they got expensive!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Ktownphoneco

That's a "hoot" !      When it comes to food, especially sea food, it's hard to fool a "cat" for very long.

Jeff

Bill

Quote from: DavePEIWhen I was young, it [lobster] was considered a welfare food. Also, lobster used to be so plentiful here that farmers used to take a wagon down to the shore, use pitchforks to scoop lobsters from the point, and then spead them on their land to use as fertilizer. This would be about 70 years ago.
Dave -

I'm so glad to hear you say that! People always think I'm kidding when I say similar stuff. When I was quite young in Maine, my Dad got paid monthly, and sometimes there was more month than pay. I can remember that as the month wore along, we would move from beef and pork for dinner, to hamburgers, then to hot dogs, then to scallops, and finally to the dreaded lobster. I just couldn't bring myself to eat it, so after one mandatory mouthful, I was allowed to eat potatoes and whatever canned vegetables were in the cupboard.

You may have heard of the Lobster Rebellion. In the late 1700's - early 1800's, prisoners in Maine were fed so much lobster that they rebelled, demanding real food. The state passed a law limiting the number of lobster meals they could be served per week, based on the idea that lobster constituted cruel and unusual punishment.

Bill

electric al

Quote from: 19and41 on April 23, 2015, 05:14:44 PM
Mighty nice scenery!

Like in your avatar , 1941 the year I was born in ,  Dec 24 th ( no birthday party for me )   :'(
Never met a phone I didn't like !

19and41

I guess you were about 15 when I was born. (1956) :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

I can look off into our woods and see buds finally growing on the trees! A couple weeks ago, the trees were still bare!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

Lookin' mighty green so far!
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Here is another little sign that came up today...
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Would you believe it snowed for half the day here? It did, but it warmed up and most of that is now gone. It is supposed to do the same tomorrow. But inch by inch, the drifts are slowly receding. We may see spring here eventually. What a weird year! Usually I am in the museum by April 1st and most of the snow is gone!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

It's supposed to turn colder here tomorrow and get down to 65F.   It was 76 today.
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Ha! Yesterday's snow broke the all time records for PEI snowfall, 551 cm to date, 18.1 feet. This breaks all 20th century records (71-72 of 530 cm), and even all 19th century records on the books!

And it isn't over - there is a probability of some snow later today!

Fortunately, most of yesterday's snow melted later in the day yesterday, leaving us with the same amount we had the day before.

But, next Tuesday, the long range forecasts 16 degrees c., 60.8 f.

Still drifts around, but they are getting smaller! The incredible thing about this is winter didn't begin in earnest until mid January - it all fell since then. What a year!

P.S. That reminds me. This morning they announced the Northumberland Ferries opening (the ferry which runs from Wood Islands to Pictou, N.S.) will not start running this year on May 1st as normal. Its run has been put off by the amount of ice in the Strait. No further word on the delay in the opening of lobster season, either! It was also announced today that Spring oyster fishery opening has been delayed for 2015.   No determined date for opening set at this time.

On a positive note: Linda reports that her tulips are beginning to sprout in the garden alongside the house which melted off within the past week.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

So it looks like more of a time frame shift as opposed to a change in the temps up where you are.  Wonder if it is also the cause of the magnetic pole reversal that has been said to have started.
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Quote from: 19and41 on April 29, 2015, 01:49:30 PM
So it looks like more of a time frame shift as opposed to a change in the temps up where you are.  Wonder if it is also the cause of the magnetic pole reversal that has been said to have started.
I have wondered about that. Hopefully it is only a hiccough for this year only. However, I was looking at some records today, and it seems winter really hit us only on January 27th. We had almost no snow in November of December - at least any which stayed, then after January 37th, two or three very heavy snowstorms every week. It sure piled up!

Thankfully, it is now slowly going, but frustrating to see more still coming down the odd day. But the melt is happening. I would say about 1/3 of our property is now snow free, but still some major drifts. I can't wait until it is all gone! Normally it is gone by April 1st or thereabouts.

P.E.I. The new North Pole :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

Maybe there is a longer summer in store.  If there is, I hope we don't get it down here.  You could hold a lobster out the window and steam it on a hot day here.
— Arthur C. Clarke