News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rose Beige Stromberg Carlson 1543 Help --Thanks Stub!

Started by Dan, December 17, 2010, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I was fortunate enough to get this soft plastic (that is the housing, not the handset or caps) rose beige S-C from 1958. It had a frequency ringer and I had a SL ringer from another SC 1543 and put it in. It still doesn't ring. Can someone help?

I have enclosed pics of the before with the freq ringer, the SL (called a 74A) after installation, and the schematic (that was in the phone. The straight line ringer is currently hooked on position 5 on the network (red wire) and the black wire  is on C1. (pics show this). What's the purpose of the black bumble bee tube- like things?

I love this phone! Feel free to move this to the technical section if you want.

1)   Here is the original frequency ringer

2)  Here is the straight line ringer installed (74A SL)

3)  The schematic says to put the red wire on 15 and the black on c-2 but it won't ring this way either...

4)  Currently wired left side of network with the red wire on position 5

5)  Currently wired sl ringer black wire on right side position c-1

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

rdelius

Try moving the ringer wire to c2 or jumper L2 to g. Make sure that other ringer wire is connected to 15 and 15 is jumpered to 3 or ringer wire is connected to 3. The black striped thin is a bad quality capacator to keep the ringer from causing the set to sieze the line unless off hook.I would replace it with a .47 microfared at at least 200 v size.
robby

Dan

Thanks Robby. I have tried wiring it in all the positions that you recommended. It still isn't ringing. I do not know how to replace a capacitor or where to find a .47.

Perhaps someone has a SL straight line 1543 S-C that rings and could peak under the hood and let me know how it is wired.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Ok Dan, I opened up one that I have.  It's from late 1964 and has the potted network.  Here is how mine is wired, excluding switch wires.  If you want me to run those down, let me know.  I have one capacitor in front of my ringer.  It's mounted to a terminal strip with a terminal on each end. 

Ringer

Red/Brown Striped wire is connected to the capacitor/terminal closest to the edge of the phone.
Gray Ringer wire attached to the opposite end.
Red to L2
Black to L1

Mounting Cord

Green to L1
Red to L2
Yellow to G

Dial Wires

Red - Terminal 4
Brown - Terminal 5
White - Terminal 11
Green - Terminal 7
There is a jumper between 7/9

Handset

White wire to Terminal 4
White wire to Terminal 9
Red - Terminal 10
Black - Terminal 12

Dan

Thanks Dennis. The striker barely trembles now. (almost like a freq ringer) ,at least I know it can move. I will have to fool with it a little more.

Was yours the pretty bubblegum pink one ? I remember it a little bit

stub

Dan,
       You can get a capacitor at Radio Shack. You need at least a .47 mfd. capacitor at 200 volts as rdelius suggested. Hope this helps. Here is a pic of one that I have   SC  1543 W     Ringer black to L-1 and ringer red to capacitor . The other side of capacitor goes to C-2. Line in green to L1 and red to L2.  L-2 and C-2 are connected in network.   stub

Dennis-  Looking forward to pics of your phone.   stub  
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dennis Markham

Dan, this one is a green one with the cut corners.  It actually has a 426 tube inside.  My camera battery died while I was getting the info for you.  I'll post a photo later.

Dan

stub

Dan,
       Keep looking      .47 mfd at 200 v            stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Dan,
        I have used this one .  1 mfd. at 250v. I can find stuff in the store easier than their site!!!!!   I'll keep looking to see if I can find the  .47   Can't find one on their site.   
         Do you have any clip leads?  Take the line in wires loose from phone, red and green and remove the long ,black ,ringer wire and the long , red capacitor (bumble bee) wire. Use clip leads to connect the ringer black to green, line in, wire and the capacitor red to the red, line in, wire . Don't touch any wire and call from cell and see if it will ring.  Ring voltage is ac and it will bite, HARD!!!!!!!!! This will bypass the phone , in case you have issues in it. If it won't ring now you need to replace the capacitor and check again.   stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

Dennis Markham

Here's the photo of my capacitor and the 426 gas tube.  I don't see a MF designation on this capacitor.  This phone is marked 1546W.

Dennis Markham

After taking my Stromberg Carlson off the shelf to open it up to get the wiring for Dan, I plugged it in at my desk for a test drive.  By the sticker I placed on it when I got it, I see I bought it in January of 2008, almost 3 years ago.  It's been sitting on a shelf in my "dungeon" waiting for some  TLC.  After using it a bit today I thought I'd share a audio file of the ringer.  For those that haven't heard one of these ring you may be surprised at how loud they ring.  It reminds me of an old fashioned burglar alarm.  I about jumped out of my chair this morning when it rang.  The wav file is attached.

By the way, the eBay selling price was $24.30 not including shipping.  I think the prices have come down a bit on them in the three years since then, or maybe not.

stub

Dan,
       Did you get it to ring?       stub

Dennis,
            Sweet green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have 2 off white 1543 W's .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

McHeath

Cool phones!  The green one is quite nice Dennis.  They have an interesting look about them, having never seen one live and only in pictures, they look like a cross between a 500 and something older, not sure what.