"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New to the Forum and New Rotary

Started by Muscle_cars_only, November 03, 2010, 10:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muscle_cars_only

Hello,

I recently purchased a couple of pinball machines to restore and found this in a box inside one of them. Loved the color and plan on using it on the bar in the game room. Phone appears to be hardly used,unfortunately the ringer is broken (how I stumbled across this site) the phone does receive and dial though,just no ringy....  Dennis asked for some Pics, but I'm not exactly sure what shots he wants to see of it, Therefore you're getting a lot in hopes of covering what he needs to see.

FWIW - In the short amount of time that I've been here, I've enjoyed the information the members have amassed here. Glad to find out Novus works on these, I have several bottles of all the Novus products that I use on my pinball machine playfields and plastics.

Dave

Phonesrfun

Beautiful phone.  Looks like a Stromberg Carlson.  The ringer looks to be properly wired, so maybe the ringer is faulty.  Any ringer from any 500 phone will just bolt right in, so you should not have any problems finding a replacement ringer.
-Bill G

mienaichizu

unexpected treasure isn't it, haha, I love the color

JorgeAmely

It is difficult to kill these ringers, perhaps wired incorrectly?
Jorge

Muscle_cars_only

It is a Stromberg-Carlson...  I guess I need to clarify the NO RINGY... It does work but if you look @ the left bell its missing something because it will fall out if you move the phone around.

Dave

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Muscle_cars_only

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 03, 2010, 11:22:46 PM
Broken rivet?

Possibly.. From searching the internet for the ringer, which I could not find no matter how I typed it, I ran across some pictures of them and they seem to have two copper tabs that either hold the bell, make a connection or both. I have no clue, this is the first time messing with one. I wonder if it is in fact a rivet if I can drill and tap it then fix it with a small screw?

Anyhow, in my search for a ringer source I stumbled upon this site. I need to keep away, looking at all these great phones everyones collected makes me want more and the last thing I need is another hobby collection,although they do take up less space than cars, pinball machines and arcade video games.. ;)

Dave

Dan

Welcome, I am a pinball guy too. A good product to remove ball swirl marks from playfields is a MR Clean Magic eraser. I have four machines.

This phone you have is a very desirable lime green Stromberg- Carlson.

I think the tension spring picture that Dennis or someone else has posted in the past may help here. Moving it to the open notch area may get a ring.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

Yes, you're missing the rivet that holds part of the assembly in place.  It also holds the copper fingers you mentioned.  Those are part of the volume control, one of them snapping into the detents that you see.  That isn't really a critical part, I suppose, and if you can jury rig a screw or bolt in that hole, it should hold it in place just fine.  Here's a photo I shamelessly borrowed from Dennis, that shows the rivet, the fingers, the detents, etc.

= DARRIN =

Muscle_cars_only

Quote from: Dan on November 03, 2010, 11:51:39 PM
Welcome, I am a pinball guy too. A good product to remove ball swirl marks from playfields is a MR Clean Magic eraser. I have four machines.

This phone you have is a very desirable lime green Stromberg- Carlson.

I think the tension spring picture that Dennis or someone else has posted in the past may help here. Moving it to the open notch area may get a ring.

Dan the problem is the bell falls out if moved.. Wish I could find the pics I found on the net to explain it.

I use the magic eraser and alcohol only to clean extremely dirty non Diamond plate PF's followed up by napfta to remove the white residue. What pins do you have? Are you a SS or EM collector? I've got close to 40 restored and around 7 waiting. All of mine are SS except for an EM Royal Flush and 3 Bingo machines.

Jim Stettler

[/quote]

What pins do you have? I've got close to 40 restored and around 7 waiting.
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Dave. I doubt if you will get sucked into the telephone hobby, It sounds like you have your pinball obsession under control, and telephone probably aren't anymore addictive than pinball.

(Snicker,snicker)

Good luck....
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Muscle_cars_only

Bingster - Thanks a mil for the pic. The ones I saw on the net didn't show that section in detail which left me wondering if there were wires attached to the fingers or not... Guess I'll drill and tap it and install a washer and screw.  

Now for the next question, can't believe I'm typing this............ How hard are the orange phones to find like this one?

Dan

I got a williams Grandprix Em 1976, a Black Knight 1980, a Capt. Fantastic EM , and a Stern Stars SS.

Pins I want--Williams Funhouse, Twilight Zone, Attack from Mars, and Simpsons Pinball Party. I am thinking of trading all and keeping the BK and adding a late model Williams. I do like EM's but they play slow unless you prop up the legs..

Phones are addicting too, just like pins, and you can get 100 plus and not take up as much room as three pins. I am warning you..... ;)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

Wow!  Sweet find, a lime green is a prize that can set you back a pretty penny.  Orange goes will with it, I've got a very nice hardwired orange one and it was about 50 bucks.  Your green one does not have any discoloration or cracks, you got a good score there. 

Muscle_cars_only

Phone now rings and ring volume is fully adjustable.

The Fix:

Used a bottom tap to thread the bell assembly.
Ran a  2" screw in finger tight and marked where I wanted to cut it.
After cutting it I tightened the new stud into the bell,added a washer and nylon lock nut. Tightened the nut enough to where you adjust it, it will stay.

It was a pretty easy 10 min. fix and the volume can be adjusted without fear of the bell coming loose..
THANKS to all for the info and pics to get me straight.

Dave