Telephone Talk > Candlestick Phones

Testing one of my sticks with two subsets.

(1/7) > >>

Greg G.:
I want to check out this stick I've had for a while but never hooked up.  I have two different subsets I can use.  It's not known if the subsets actually function, there's no notes I made one way or another, which means I haven't tested those either.

I just need to know which wire goes where, from phone to subset, and also the line cord.  One subset is a 634-BA, the other is a 684-A.  The cord on the phone is a 3 conductor.

The stick itself is a 151 AL with a 4H dial.

southernphoneman:

--- Quote from: Brinybay on April 17, 2013, 04:31:55 PM ---I want to check out this stick I've had for a while but never hooked up.  I have two different subsets I can use.  It's not known if the subsets actually function, there's no notes I made one way or another, which means I haven't tested those either.

I just need to know which wire goes where, from phone to subset, and also the line cord.  One subset is a 634-BA, the other is a 684-A.  The cord on the phone is a 3 conductor.

The stick itself is a 151 AL with a 4H dial.

--- End quote ---
let us know how it works because I am curious myself. ;)

Phonesrfun:
You are using antisidetone subsets with a sidetone phione (having 3 wires).  That's ok, it will work just fine.

From the desk set to the subset:

Red to R in the subset
Green to GN in the subset
Yellow to L2/Y in the subset

I believe you will want to connect the BK to L2 Y in the subset with the sidetone phone.  I am not at home where I have notes on this, so perhaps someone else can chime in on that final point.  Even if you don't connect BK to anything else in the subset, it should still work ok.  Strapping BK to the other point will make it talk a little louder at the other end.

poplar1:
The 151-AL is anti-sidetone, so it can be used with either a sidetone subset (534A, 584A, 295A) or with an anti-sidetone subset (634BA, 684A, etc.)

The cord pictured connected to the 684A appears to be correct:

Red to R
Green to GN
Yellow to Y/L2
Black to BK

Connect line to L1 (red) and L2 (green).

If using an anti-sidetone set (50-AL, 51AL, 102) with a sidetone subset:

Red to R
Green to GN
Yellow to Y/L2
tape and store the black lead on the subset end

Normally, you don't want to use a sidetone set (20-AL, 50-AL, 51-AL, 102 with 3-wire cord) with an anti-sidetone subset. Even though you could connect the black condenser wire to Y/L2, this is not advisable unless you have only 1 or maximum 2 ringers on the line, because it loads the line.  Also, the condenser may be damaged over time.

Your metal subset is a 634BA because it has a 4300 ohm ringer instead of a 1000 or 1400 ohm. That's a good ringer because you can have more phones ringing on your line with high impedance ringers.

poplar1:
Here is a picture of the cording for a 151-AL (except that the red wire needs to move to the R on the terminal block and the black wire needs to be on BK of the dial).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version