News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this car phone ?

Started by Vern P, December 21, 2012, 09:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

What is this ??  I think it is a car phone, but never seen one like it.

This is on Goodwill  #12087197  listed today. Sorry I can't post a link to this, maybe someone else can.

Vern P

davidbholcomb

Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

The item pictured is not really a "phone" in the normal sense.  It is a control head for the old MTS Mobile Telephone service, and consists of the handset, dial, switches, and a lock.

The real guts were a VHF radio that was usually mounted in the trunk with a thick cable running under the carpet along side the "hump" up to the drivers area and connected to the control head.  A separate set of DC power cables connected the radio in the trunk with the battery in the engine compartment.

In the 1970's us Ham radio guys loved to get these used Bell System VHF radios and convert them to the 2 meter ham band.  They were a pretty rugged piece of equipment and were usually made by either GE or Motorola.

-Bill G

Vern P

Thanks for the info and the links.  I thought it was a car phone, but have not seen one like this before.

I have a WE/BS one, the kind with out a dial, only a hand set.   I sold 2 of these a few years ago, then found this one.

Need to see if I can find a photo of it sometime, but as for now it is for sale.  $70. It needs a PTT hand set, I have one, but could not find it the other day.

The last ones sold for $95.

Vern P

Doug Rose

for future reference
Kidphone