"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BAT PHONE , Project phone

Started by markosjal, December 13, 2016, 10:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Making a "Bat Phone"

Okay so we have all seen it and some of us, it may have inspired to collect phones. When Commissioner Gordon called the Bat Phone it lit up.

So here is my phone hack project ...

As LEDs can produce a lot of light with very low power consumption (low REN load) I figure even if it takes 20 or so white LEDs hot glued to the plastic case I can make a life like "Bat phone".

I wil be testing on a white Indetel (they have a pretty thin case) that I am souping up as I am turning the loop start button into a "hold" button and installing a red LED there too. I already did the  homework on tearing out the keypad that generates pulses and how I will connect the SC35A1 DTMF pad (when they arrive in January) . I want to keep the phone looking as original as possible till the bells and whisteles start doing things , so I will also attempt to preserve the original white keypad numbers only buttons.

I know I am hammering a vintage phone but we need to make this fun too , right?

so for the bat phone LEDs I figure I can add a capacitor in series with a bridge rectifier so when the phone rings the rectifier should give me roughly 31 V DC (as I recal ringing is 90V P-P) , so that means several LEDs in series connected to the bridge rectifier, maybe with a filter capcitor across the output of bridge , but maybe it would be cool to see 20hz strobing when it rings?

On an additional note it might be cool also to find a way to illuminate the phone when the line voltage drops to "in use" voltage???  I might have to rethink the above in order to do both with the same LEDs.

I want it all phone line powered.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

andre_janew

I do remember that the Bat phone was a red dial-less phone.  I think it may have been a WE 500.  I'm not sure whether or not Gotham was in the Bell System or not.

TelePlay

It looked like a 500, that style, but it was taller than a 500. I suspect props made a high, thinner housing to allow bright light bulbs (it had to be seen under stage lighting) to be seen.

Either way, they hacked a perfectly good dial blank by drilling a hole in the center for the call switch. Both the Commissioner and Bruce Wayne's study had the same phone, the Commissioner under glass.

markosjal

Cool BatPhone Pic!

I was looking at the TCI library for Princess and Trimline for sets with LED  lighted dials, but unfortunately all I see is units with transforme lighted dials . I wanted tio see how WE implemented the LED lights , resistor values, etc but no luck.

Does anyone have a WE, ITT, or SC diagram with LED lighted dial?

unbeldi

Quote from: markosjal on December 15, 2016, 02:04:59 PM
Cool BatPhone Pic!

I was looking at the TCI library for Princess and Trimline for sets with LED  lighted dials, but unfortunately all I see is units with transforme lighted dials . I wanted tio see how WE implemented the LED lights , resistor values, etc but no luck.

Does anyone have a WE, ITT, or SC diagram with LED lighted dial?

Should be there too:
BSP 502-303-102 i1 Oct 1978

poplar1

Quote from: markosjal on September 11, 1974, 09:54:29 PMquote author=markosjal link=topic=17269.msg178154#msg178154 date=1481828699]

I was looking at the TCI library for Princess and Trimline for sets with LED  lighted dials

The Signature (2703BMG) are the only Princess sets with LED dials.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

no 2703BMG in TCI library as I said all older "light bulb" types with external transformer

unbeldi

The Signature Princesses came out pretty late, in the early 1990s, so there are no BSP for those anymore.
But the new AT&T divisions did still produce some other practices, but apparently not many have it made into the "public" yet.

poplar1

markosjal

I do know there were Princess phones with LEDs before 1990 whether signature princess or otherwise as I had one i  the 80s. I am certain of it

In fact I have a WE  rotary trimline here I think dated like 1983 with LED and do recall                                                                         them with LEDs even before that time

unbeldi

Certainly, Trimlines had LEDs first in the 1970s, I quoted you the BSP of 1978 which shows them.

poplar1

Quote from: markosjal on December 15, 2016, 08:43:56 PM
I do know there were Princess phones with LEDs before 1990 whether signature princess or otherwise as I had one i  the 80s. I am certain of it

In fact I have a WE  rotary trimline here I think dated like 1983 with LED and do recall                                                                         them with LEDs even before that time

Issue 1 of BSP  502-303-102 , dated Oct., 1978, cited by unbeldi above,  shows both rotary and Touch-Tone Trimlines with LED dials. This practice is in the TCI library.

Ordering information for both the incandescent and the LED lighted models is in both the 1978 and the 1981 issues.

An Atlanta phone dealer told me a customer once brought in a Princess with a LED-illuminated dial. (She said that she had acquired it in Miami.) However, that's the only one I had heard of, until now.  Was your Princess rotary or Touch-Tone?

markosjal

It was touchtone . The telltale sign for the LED princess was no bulb socket on bottom .
It was Western Electric.
It illuminated green just like the trimlines

The diagram,  I see thanks. Undefined resistor and coil though.

Mark

poplar1

All new Western Electric Princess sets from c. 1983-1986 were manufactured without the lamp socket. These sets were marked "CS" -- Consumer Sales -- for retail sale at Sears, Service Merchandise, KMart, etc. However, these sets did not light up.

AT&T continued to remanufacture the older style 702s and 2702s, which required a transformer for the dial lamp, until c. 1994, when their last U.S. Service Center closed.

The 2703 Signature sets used line power for the dial LED. However, if you wanted the night light feature, this still required a transformer. The Signature sets were for lease only -- never legally offered for sale.

poplar1

The CS 2702s had opaque (white) buttons.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272473245863

The Signatures were Tone-Pulse switchable. The jacks were relocated to prevent breakage. There was a volume control for the receiver.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222253122027