News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Better late than never, I guess . . . (workshop fire supression devices)

Started by TelePlay, October 19, 2017, 05:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

After close to a decade of working with a variety of flammable liquids in the dungeon, I finally got around to getting one of these. Menards had them on sale for $10 off plus a 11% October store rebate to took it home for about $50.

Something about rebuilding a 2 cycle carburetor last spring near a gas water heater and furnace that raised the most concern and then there were all the other solvents, sparks from a Dremel cutting wheel and everything else that could have gone south for me so now I feel a bit safer now, having something I hope I will never need.

It's a 10 pound unit that weighs about 20 pounds, puts out about 20 seconds of stuff up to 20-25 feet away and is rechargeable so I think I got a good deal. Works on everything electrical, liquids, wood, etc. Specs say it is an ABC "rated extinguisher is required for protecting HIGH hazard occupancies such as: vehicle repair shops, manufacturing processes involving flammable liquids, boat servicing & woodworking processes."

When I walked in the door with it, my wife asked if I was planning to blow up something in the basement. I said no, I'm not planning to buy any CaC2 lanterns . . .    ;)

What do other "restorers" have in their work areas?

Haf

Welcome to the club :)
As I can't run away as easy as you can and beeing burned alive is one of the things I don't want to experience ever... I took precaution. One next to my bed, one on my workbench (as you can see working with isopropanol spray for e.g.) and another one in the kitchen. Just to make sure.

Haf

(and still don't know why some pictures flip over when uploaded them)
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

twocvbloke

I just have a small automotive dry-powder extinguisher attached to my shelves behind my TV (and below my Cortelco 2554), had it for about 12 years, broken the safety tab accidentally in that time but has never been discharged, was sold as a reduced-to-clear as it was a few months off it's certified date (something to do with car insurance stuff), perfectly good for other uses though... :)

Of course, 12 years and never having used it kind of makes me wonder if it'll work if I ever needed it to, still, I'm not in the habit of making fire indoors (accidentally or otherwise!) but, like they say, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, especially with paraffin and head-butted aladdin lamps around...  ;D

jsowers

Read what happened to me almost exactly seven years ago to see why everyone should have a decent fire extinguisher handy. A large one with a gauge that shows if it needs recharging. Those little ones with no gauge like what I had are no good after five years. I have a decent one now.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3624.msg48272#msg48272

The Cub Cadet is still running fine, BTW.
Jonathan

AL_as_needed

I have one of those smaller Kidda dry chem extinguishers mounted on the wall in the kitchen. Only time I ever considered using it was when my Dietz Comet became a literal fiery comet. I think its fair to say that it is a must have for lamp/lantern collectors.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Quote from: jsowers on October 19, 2017, 09:23:47 PM
Read what happened to me almost exactly seven years ago to see why everyone should have a decent fire extinguisher handy.

I remember reading about that one, and it did make me question the reliability of my little extinguisher pictured above, but in the 5 years since I posted on that thread, I've still not needed to put out any unintentional and unwanted fires so far, so fingers crossed I never have to find out if it works or not!!  :o

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 20, 2017, 07:00:47 AM
I remember reading about that one, and it did make me question the reliability of my little extinguisher pictured above, but in the 5 years since I posted on that thread, I've still not needed to put out any unintentional and unwanted fires so far, so fingers crossed I never have to find out if it works or not!!  :o

The one I just bought is rechargeable and comes with a gauge.

I have had a small extinguisher that I bought in 1984 that has a green plastic button that sticks up from the top and depressing it tests the extinguisher. If good, it pops back up.

Does your powder extinguisher have something like that?

================================

PS:  the image uploading discussion that was in this topic has been split off and moved to:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19080.0

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on October 21, 2017, 02:44:49 AMI have had a small extinguisher that I bought in 1984 that has a green plastic button that sticks up from the top and depressing it tests the extinguisher. If good, it pops back up.

Does your powder extinguisher have something like that?

Nope, mine's just basically a glorified aerosol style device, pull the safety wedge out and the button on top can be pressed to release the powder, no way to check whether it's still good or not...  :-\

Though I do periodically give the thing a squeeze, if it feels too hard to squeeze like a full aerosol can, then it's probably still good, if it collapses like an empty one, then it'll go in the bin to be replaced, think I'll go do that now actually..... ;D

EDIT:
Yep, still hard to squeeze, so still under pressure... ;D

Owain

We had a Pyrene Junior extinguisher which my dad moved from house to house.

Sadly it got cleared out before I could inherit it. I think they're Carbon Tet and regarded as unsafe now.

Babybearjs

Well, its about time..... wouldn't want all your telephones to go up in smoke....
John

TelePlay

Spotted this image while looking for something else. It's an oxymoron image.

This was taken in the Pentagon on 9/11 from what was tagged on the photo, it is an Air Force original image.

Looks like the pin was pulled and the gauge reads empty, just too small for that day.

twocvbloke

19and41

Along with the extinguishers, it would be a good idea to have good smoke/carbon monoxide detectors around the house as well.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Woke up this morning to read about the Kidde fire extinguisher recall released yesterday 11/2/17.

I guess my procrastination and choice was a good thing in that I just bought mine and I bought the Pro model which has a metal handle to hold and operate the unit, should I need to. The recall covers some 22 million extinguishers with plastic handle and push button type discharge units.

More information, how to see if yours is being recalled (covers extinguishers made from January 1, 1973 to August 15, 2017 and involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers worldwide) can be found at these two and other sites reached by using The Google.

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

so if you have one, you should get a replacement.

===============

Name of product:  Kidde fire extinguishers with plastic handles

Hazard:  The fire extinguishers can become clogged or require excessive force to discharge and can fail to activate during a fire emergency. In addition, the nozzle can detach with enough force to pose an impact hazard.

Remedy:  Replace

Recall date:  November 2, 2017

Recall number:  18-022

WEBellSystemChristian

Yep, we got the recall as well.

Fortunately, ours was empty for some reason. We're essentially getting a free refill by replacing our recalled extinguisher! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford